Windows Services Detected

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by EV700, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EV700

EV700 Registered Member

I ran a tool called SuperScan 4.0 on my external IP address and it was able to retrieve a list of my Windows XP services and their current running states. How can this be prevented?

2. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Do you have any kind of Firewall ?

3. EV700

EV700 Registered Member

Yeah, that scan was on my external IP so it should have hit my router.. I can't imagine how it could have went through my router... then it'd had to go through Comodo. But, it happened... because it sure did list my services.

Isn't there something I can disable to prevent that, even if I didn't have a firewall?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Something seems rather fishy to me.. ;)

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Can you confirm that you used an external PC to make the scans (outside of the router/LAN). If you made the scans using your PC against your own external (router IP) then the results will be unpredictable.

{Superscan is really quite old, and performs simple ICMP for host detection, and then mainly uses UDP against service ports for ICMP replies.}

6. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Yes as Stem said, check if the scan was done by an external pc then report back.

If it is the case, then something is not right. Could be a wrongly configured firewall, trojan opening specific ports, application that might open those ports etc etc

7. EV700

EV700 Registered Member

I did it from my LAN using the external IP address of my router/modem.

8. Gen

Gen Registered Member

This might be the cause then.
    If you have access to an external pc not part of your LAN/router etc, it would be interesting to do the scan again and see if you can still see the services running.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It will not give correct results with this method. (your firewall/router will allow the outbound then can allow the replies to a scan)

You would either have to use a second PC on the LAN and scan the internal (LAN) IP of the PC, or use a PC outside of the LAN/router to scan your WAN IP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.