Windows Security Update CD programs not running!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sherry22, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry22

Sherry22 Registered Member

Well I got it....but I am having a problem. I keep getting warnings that my current security settings prohibit running active x.....I changed all the settings and still get the warnings :( The programs on the cd just will not run.

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi Sherry, and welcome to Wilders! I've split your post off of the "order the Windows Update CD" simply because I didn't think anyone would notice it there. I'm not sure what would be happening to you, but I'm moving this post to where it should get the proper attention....

Detox

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Sherry. Welcome from me also.

This is probably a wild stab in the dark, but are you running Spybot S&D and have the IE Control Panel locked. [I have never tried it, and do not know if you can still access it but changes won't take affect]

Also, maybe a screen capture of a warning, it may indicate if you have a program that is 'helping' you to secure your system.

Just a wild stab..

If running SpybotS&D, go to SpybotS&D Settings/Immunize/ then check like my pic.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

4. Sherry22

The error is : Your current security settings prohibit running activeX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display properly. I have gotten that error on websites before and if i want to see thier pages i just add them to the trusted sites or change the settings. But in this case I am not online. I just put the cd in the drive and that page comes up where you can click the windows security advisor button or the install updates button. I can click either of those and get the same error. I have tried changeing the IE settings and that had no effect.

I do have spybot but cannot seem to find that option that is shown in your pic.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

You will have to start SB in advanced mode for changing that.
    If you have the latest version then look under tools to achieve that.
    On the other hand i doubt that will resolve your prob but give it a try.

Gerard

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yes Gerard, I highly doubt it also, as I said a stab in the dark. :doubt:

Sherry, sorry cannot help any further, as if you are sure you don't have any other programs that auto blocks ActiveX, then it's a mystery, but probably something silly that's been overlooked.

TAS

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Sherry22,

A long shot, but could you do a Find Files for COMCAT.DLL
    Let me know where you find it and what the version numbers are.

Regards,

Pieter

8. Sherry22

Found in c\windows\system32
    version5.0.2600.1

I still cannot find that section in spybot either...pretty sure i have the latest version of it. I do not remember getting any other active x blocking stuff..lol but if i did it a while back i might not remember anyway. Thanks for all the help :)

9. Sherry22

Ah hah finally found that spbot section. That option was NOT checked and i did not have the broswer helper that blocks downloads installed. I do have spywarblaster also..not updated to the new version yet though. Is there any other settings somewhere on the computer that i might have messed up sometime that would make active x not work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.