Windows Security Suite [fake antivirus (rogue)]

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Zyrtec, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

My sister has a laptop running Windows XP SP-3 at college. She was running McAfee VSE version 8.7 patch-1 because college IT staff provide it to her for free while she is studying there.

She recently told me her laptop was slow to a crawl due mainly to McAfee. I helped her out to clean uninstall VSE it and I installed NOD32 4.0.437 with latest defs. with default settings on her lappy using a spare license I already had.

The thing is her laptop got hit by “Windows Security Suite” [ a very, very nasty rogue antivirus] which somehow managed to slip thorugh NOD32 v. 4.0.437 and disabled it.

I thought NOD32 v.4 had already signatures for this nasty pice of malware but it didn't. So, I had to rely on Malwarebytes v. 1.40 and SAS 4.27.1002 to get rid of this rogue on my sister lappy.

At least, I feel safer than her since I'm using Win Vista SP-2 with UAC along with NOD32 v.4

Is there a way to prevent her laptop from getting infected again by this rogue in the future?

Regards,

Carlos

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

See my response here. Since your posts concerns the very same topic, we'll draw this thread to a close to prevent duplicate posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.