Windows security patches - safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Today I downloaded several Windows security patches from Microsoft. I have not yet installed them. Reason: in a few instances in the past, I have had my computer clobbered by patches. I do NOT want that to happen again. My computer is running great & I want to keep it that way.

QUESTION: Is there any website whereat I can read about the experiences of actual users as to which (if any) of these patches could cause a computer problem?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You could wait a week or two after the release of the patches then check the MS updates site again using the "Custom" option. By then, any bugs that may have been present in the initial updates should be fixed. That's what I do.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nothing like a good image for insurance too......

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yup this is where making an image comes in real handy, although the built in windows restore works just fine for recovering from bad updates.

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

If there is a bad update usually you see a lot of posts on other forums with with headings like "Windows Update *****ed my computer! :mad: ", lol.

I haven't experienced a bad update but it may be because I turn the computers off when I am at work and by the time I get home in the evening they have either pulled the bad update or fixed it.

A few years ago I was really glad I do this because at the time I was using Trend Micro which issued an update that screwed a lot of people's computers. By the time I got home they had removed it.

7. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I usually watch AskWoody as well for a clue as to what is going on with the patches. I like to wait for others to serve as the guinea pigs and then I patch when I feel comfortable that the patches will do good and not harm to my systems.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

:thumb: me too. Usually there is no immediate need to patch unless there is an exploit in the wild and even then you would have to be looking for trouble. I also wouldn't recommend that everyone take this approach as I have a relative that manages to find trouble all the time and they are probably safer with auto-updates on.

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I have downloaded every patch ever bought out by MS and never to my knowledge had a problem.
    Really havent the inclination to sift through them!

So there- all you other users:D

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Who needs patches beyond SP2?

Theres plenty enough security vendors to more than make up for issues and much better at it then patch-silly Microsoft.

I not had a problem either even without Ugh! Patches. IMO they only further GUM up XP more than it already is.

11. Hairy Coo

Well actually thats a good point !!

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The problem with the thinking that you don't need MS patches past sp2 is a bit flawed. Not all patches that MS releases are something third party vendors can do anything about as they are actual windows coding patches (additions or changes in Windows coding) those are going to have to come from MS only.

13. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

14. Hairy Coo

Thats good to know :thumb:
    Was hoping just SP2 might be enough.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I usually wait at least 1-2 weeks before updating - I let everyone else solve the problems. And then, I sometimes test on a scapegoat machine and never update without imaging first.
    Mrk

16. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I'm experiencing some explorer.exe problems after today's updates. Opening Network Locations takes a lot of time.
    When I 'explore' my HD everything works fine though.

17. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I just always use latest SP3 release (5508 atm). No other patches to me.

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    At our workplace, it's a mess. The network drives are practically dead and inaccessible... Windows updates, ye right.
    Mrk

19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After installing WinXPproSP2 completely off-line + phone activation, I updated it one time with the file "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe", mainly because of a bug in Windows Explorer, which was fixed after that.
    I don't use Windows Update anymore. I replace WinXPproSP2 with a clean one during each reboot.

20. RAD

RAD Registered Member

My experience is that they are about 99% safe.
    But that 1% of 'puter killers can ruin a whole week.

Sometimes I have been pretty lax; installing them as soon as they come out, without imaging the disk first. But I think I will revert to berng more careful.

I definitely don't do "automatic". I at least look at them before deciding to install.

21. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

I have issues to report -
    TotalUninstall broken, does not work after applying latest patches. According to logs, there is a collision with kernel - why would this happen with TU is beyond me. Of course, reinstallation of TU did not help a bit. Also, one of my hardware monitors using WMI services (a history graph of HDD activity) does not work.
    The same is happening on Vista (SP1) and XP (SP2), on several machines, home/work.
    As I never had any problems with MS Updates, I'm really pissed now and I'm heading straight to the dark side to get me a full blown Office 2007 Enterprise ISO. Not that I really need it, I just want to even the score with MS...
    BTW, If anyone running TotalUninstall can confirm this, I would be grateful.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ive only had one issue with a hotfix (so far) and it was a minor problem anyways.

Currently I use RyanVM's Update Pack and it works well.

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yesterday when I installed the updates (offered to me on my Vista with SP1) , after reboot the computer was extrememly slow on start-up and during work , even after second reboot . I did System Restore and reversed the patches installation . Re-run updates check and reinstalled the updates . Although now it is much better at start-up , computer is acting slowly since yesterday's updates . I am thinking of another system restore but was wondering if you also noticed such behaviour - on Vista ... because you posted about XP. On my XP SP2 computers I notice no problems after the updates , nothing abnormal all the day

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

updates worked fine on windows vista.
    one update keeps failing to install on my old pc running windows xp service pack 2.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

99.9 % of Windows XP users.
    You've installed SP2 after installing SP2 :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.