Windows Security Center service won't start

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by shadek, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Hi all,

Rarely do I ask for these kind of basic advices, but in this particular case I stand hand fallen. Security Center does not show up in Services.msc either as some sites states it should.

I recently uninstalled a so far a much popular private beta of a security application. Alongside this application, I ran OA++. After uninstallation of this security application, Windows Security Center service won't start.

Here's a screenshot:
    WSC.png

Now, does anyone know how I could manage to get the security center started again? My computer is absolutely malware free, so no worries there.

Thankful for any advice,

Gabe

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Have you searched if it exists at all? Maybe you tried already, but try running chechdisk on your Windows partition.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Did you contact the vendor of the private beta, they might be interested incase the uninstall of their App caused this.

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Have you tried rebuilding the repository folder?
    (Sometimes on Vista the Security Center got botched after trying out several different security programs)
    For Vista the routine I used to rebuild it was;

1 Stop the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service. (type services in search and go to services).
    2 Locate the folder "repository" in c:\windows\system32\wbem. Delete only the repository folder.
    3 Now start the "WMI" service back on.
    4 Wait for at least a couple of minutes for the system to rebuild the information.
    5 Now reboot and open the security center. If it's not turned ON, turn ON and you will have the right info there.

However, on a Technet blog, it's not advised to do this for Win7.
    Different steps are advised; link

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thanks! This worked!

I'm afraid all other hints generously given to me were unable to fix the problem, but the last one did the trick. Thank you all so, so much though!

I've contacted the beta team at the vendor I was testing for and they were indeed very interested in my find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.