Windows Security Center no longer detects NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JoshuaJarman, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshuaJarman

JoshuaJarman Registered Member

Windows Security Center no nolger detects NOD32

I've had NOD32 installed for months now.
    After I had to do a System Restore today, to yesterdays settings, windows security center no longer detects NOD32. Nothing I seem to do helps.

It is working fine, but windows can't seem to tell.

I've searched the net and the problem is not specific to NOD32 and can happen to any antivirus or firewall.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?
    (I know how to disable the warnings, but I want to FIX the issue)

Thanks!!!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume that reinstalling SP2 will do the trick.

3. JoshuaJarman

The version of XP Pro that came with this machine already includes SP2.

So I don't have the option of uninstalling and reinstalling the SP2 part by itself because it wasn't "upgraded". Does this make sense?

Uninstalling and reinstalling NOD32 doesn't do the trick.

Thanks!

PS> Tried "sfc /scannow" with no luck either.

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

5. JoshuaJarman

I do have broadband so I'll grab SP2 and see if I can install it and if it fixes this issue.

Thanks!

6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've had a similar issue in the past when NOD32 was installed before SP2 - The windows security center seemed oblivious to the fact that I had up to date antivirus software installed. I resolved this by a clean re-install of NOD32.
    HTH
    :)

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I bet in a few reboots or a day or so it will go away. I've seen it several times, with different AV programs. Sometimes the Windows Security Center just...appears to get lazy, but in short time it gets back on track.

System Restore...was there a different antivirus program that came installed on the rig? I'd fully uninstall it, perhaps the sys restore put back some files....interfering.

Even though the rig came with SP2 pre-installed, it's easily reinstalled again. And you should rerun all your windows updates again to get all the other post-sp2 updates.

8. skrivis

skrivis Registered Member

Ok, so remind me why we use Windows?

Oh yeah, because they have a monopoly... :)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

well I use windows because there is nothing that works as easy and will run almost any program without having to be a programer to get it to work :D

10. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

It's fun to Scrabble around when we sense Trouble? Hey, that's Life.

Sorry. :D

Jack

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Maybe they do have near monopoly:-but without Gates and windows how many PC's you reckon would be in use?Its too easy to forget that even with the flaws(past,present and probably future)it was windows that brought computing to the "masses" or have you forgotten "pre windows"

12. JoshuaJarman

No Fix Yet

Well, sp2 install didn't get me there.

I've found hundreds of posting with this EXACT SAME security center issue for just about every antivirus and firewall out there.
    Apparently this is quite common, and no one knows the fix. :(

Microsoft's official answer is to wipe and re-install :eek:
    A few people have found that if you go in and completly remove all user account except administrator, and recreate your user account and reinstall the software it will be recognized again.

I guess the entire Security Center service is going into disabled mode as it is pretty much useless bloat at this point.

No the System Restore was to a point just 3 days ago.
    This system came clean, the XP disk I got has SP2 pre-rolled into it as all new copies of XP do.

First thing I tried before posting here.

This didn't resolve the issue, but thanks for the link and help.

:) lol
    If we are running windows guess I have to admit it is by choice as there are alternatives now. I'm hoping one of those alternatives will wow me enough someday soon to make it worth switching. I can beleive in the ideas behind Open Source and look forward to what the next 10 years bring. Yes Microsoft did their part to get us this far, but there was also a heavy price to pay for those advances, like lack of choice and loads of really poorly written software. I like the good innovations they brought, but Security Center and the loads of other crap they force fed us is a joke.:thumbd: We'll see how they respond to the rapidly changing landscape of personal computing.:p

13. JoshuaJarman

oh yeah...another though

I also think that it is pretty lame that MS's System Restore "feature" can break the Security Center "feature". So much for RESTORING back to the original state.:cautious:

14. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

The biggest security concern is Windows itself, but constantly warning people that the OS is at risk would negate the value of having the security console in the first place.

The security center not recognizing NOD is just a ploy by MS to get your focus off the real security problem :D

15. berng

berng Registered Member

I have the same issue. Because I know that I have NOD installed, I turned the Windows virus protection monitoring off. This suppresses the "Virus protection is not installed" messages.
    That's much easier than spending time re-installing everything.

16. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Why leave your security monitoring to MS? Do it yourself. Everyone who's had this issue is proof that MS can never do something you're better able to acomplish. I have been stripping Security Center out of XP for months now and don't miss it. I had completely forgot all about it until seeing this tread.

17. DON23

DON23 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

reinstalling SP2 wont work. Will just hog down the system. Reinstalling nod wont do it either. It will appear again. You used a registry/temp cleaner that did this. Believe it or not, sorl u ll need to format hd.

Microsoft doesnt rule neither does linux.
    Used many distros and i can say that linux does crash and does freeze. Windows is windows.

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Agreed, I have a customer that has had this for over 2 months.

Not in the several case that I have seen.

Agreed, or just turn off the anti-virus monitoring feature in the Security Centre, tell it you will monitor it yourself and go back to pre SP2 days and check your software yourself, no big deal, I know Nod32 is working well :D

Cheers :D

19. wxboss

wxboss Registered Member

When I did a reinstall of XP, I didn't even bother reinstalling SP2. I just keep SP1 patched and I don't miss the bloat of SP2.

To the OP, as long as NOD is running fine, I wouldn't worry about the Security Center. Although, I would suggest going to MS Update manually and after it scans your pc, see if there are any software patches that may not be deemed as critical yet may address an issue with the Security Center.

As a side note, shortly after installing one of MS' patches back when I had SP2, I noticed that two months had gone by without a prompt from Windows Update even though it was set on. Well, going to the update site manually and previewing the patch notes, one of them addressed an issue where the Automatic Update function may not work properly. After installing that patch, everything was back to normal.

Could be you are experiencing a bug that may be addressed in a future patch. I have seen patches from MS break more of their own stuff than it fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.