Windows Security Center hallucinating...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jfoster1977, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfoster1977

jfoster1977 Registered Member

I'm stumped on this one. I'll first describe my problem and then see if anyone has a solution:

WSC says that Windows found more than one antivirus program running on this computer and at least one reports that it is currently up to date with the virus scanning on. However, Add/remove programs does not show anything loaded. I've tried installing AVG, but it will not work because of config problems: a program already loaded. MS Process explorer does not show any antivirus service running. I suspect a registry issue, but haven't found it yet.

I've run two different registry apps (ccleaner & abexo) with no avail. I've also run Symantic housecall looking for issues, but this system is clean outside of cookies.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments? Thanks.

2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. RAD

RAD Registered Member

If you tried to install AVG, and it didn't complete, it probably left some "remnants" in the registry or on the disk that is causing WSC to see two antivirus programs.

The complete removal of antivirus programs is often difficult. AVG has a tool at their site sppecifically designed for complete removal. Check it out.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Anyway, the Windows Security Center is a fully useless service. One the first service that I disable when I install XP or Vista.

6. jfoster1977

Here's my Hijack this report...

~Log removed per Announcement.~

I am a novice with HiJackThis,; I've never used it before, so how do I safely remove the unwanted items in this report? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  7. jfoster1977

I've posted a copy of the HIJackThis report. I've also ran the toolbarcop tool and am posting the report that includes a couple of unknown entries:

View attachment Log.txt

Which do you see as unnecessary / unwanted? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Before being certain of the solution, we should know more about the problem.
    What AV is resident (that is, what is the AV you want to be running?)
    If AVG is supposed to be uninstalled (but hasn't cleanly - not unusual) run the appropriate tool from here.
    If you also use Threatfire, and the option to not report its' status to the WSC is not ticked, the Security Centre will make such a report, as it detects two running. This is usually OK.
    Last but not least, if none of this works, run the procedure linked above by JRViejo, and also linked here. If you "Google" this problem, there are a lot of hits. It's not unusual, the WSC sometimes gets itself all confused and bewildered, the poor dear. A good reason not to rely on it 100%.

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

The solution posted simply performs a rebuild within Windows Security Center of the installed product list. It is harmless and the simplest solution.

Occam's Razor ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.