Windows says Zone Alarm crashed my computer!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Get Right, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get Right

Get Right Guest

Over the weekend I installed Zone Alarm's free firewall from there Web Site. A few hours later my computer locked up.
    Windows Tech support walked me through a three hour re-install of Windows 98SE.
    They say Zone Alarm corrupted one of my registry files..and that's when she blew up.
    The tech support guy says they get a lot of those problems with ZA.
    I'm also running TDS-3..and NOD 32.
    I'd like to put ZA back on...but I'm just not sure now. o_O

2. Get Right

Get Right Guest

Ohh yah..I'm also running many items from Steve's Gibson's site..including DcomBobulater..and now Spy Sweeper 2.2

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Don't know what happened in your set up. I've run ZA on two W98 PC's and ZA Plus on an XP without any such problems. I'm not aware that this is a common problem else it woud be common knowledge and frequently discussed in various support forums.

Without any specifics, other than what you said you were told, it's diifficult to say what caused the problem, whether it was indeed ZA or something else.

BTW, Gibson's programs are not running programs. You open them, do what you want to do and then close them. I can't imagine them having any impact such as you experienced on your PC.

4. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

Hi Get Right;
    This topic gets rehashed on one forum or another on a regular basis. Most of the threads degenerate into two camps, neither of which concede the other's points.

ZA has a strong following. Take that for what it's worth. I used it for a few years without much trouble on one system. When I installed it on another computer I had nothing but problems. Even tried three different versions.

I am currently using Kerio 4.something which is widely regarded as buggy. It works perfectly for me.

Bottom line: If ZA crashed your computer then try a different brand. If it has a strong following then it is probably a good package.

Doug

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I more or less agree. While a great many people use various versions of Zone Alarm without problems, there are many people that have a lot of trouble with it.

This happens with a lot of different software simply because every system is different. There could be many reasons why it won't work on your system, so it's probably best to try something else which may work great for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.