Windows Recovery Environment & Malware Cleaning

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Windows Recovery Environment & Malware Cleaning:

If someone cannot boot into either the Windows Safe Mode or the Windows Desktop, is it possible to successfully run 'standalone' Malware scanners from the Windows Recovery Environment Command Prompt? I say Britec09 on YouTube successfully run a 'standalone' Malware scan utility from the Windows Recovery Environment Command Prompt. He navigated, using DOS type commands, to the USB Drive Letter and ran the scanner's exe file from the Command Prompt. He also ran Windows Notepad several times.

It would be nice to be able to successfully run scans with 'standalone' Malware scanners from a USB Flash Drive without having a BartPE or WinPE Disk available. Example Malware scanners would be: Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Dr.Web CureIt, SuperAntiSpyware Portable, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I don't see what you're getting at. Just use AVs & malware scanners that are installed in a Linux Live CD/DVD. But didn't you already say that? So what are you asking?

3. TheKid7

I was just curious if it was feasible to successfully run 'standalone' Malware cleaning exe's in the Windows Recovery Environment.

I keep many Antivirus Rescue CD's (along with many other Linux Distros & Utilities) on a bootable USB Flash Drive that I made with and frequently update with YUMI. Also I have the same on a bootable DVD made with Xboot.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Oh ok thanks for explaining.

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i just run 'explorer.exe' and navigate using a GUI to whatever portable program is available (usually dr.web's cureit). does the job ok if i dont have an alternate recovery environment handy

6. TheKid7

Thanks.

I didn't think of running explorer.exe. Where is explorer.exe located for the different Windows Operating Systems? It looks like it is in C:\Windows\ for Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit.

7. TheKid7

I see that explorer.exe is also in the C:\Windows\ Folder in Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

you dont need to type out the full path, at least i dont have to anyway. just type 'explorer.exe' and explorer will pop up in XP/vista/7 and probably 8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.