Windows OneCare

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Anyone have any views or have run tests on this software against malware?

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

What can I say, its m$, its beta, and they are going to charge 50 dollars a year for it. It also makes you uninstall every security app on your computer. The firewall is like straw, av is average, resource usage high, so why bother.

Alphalutra1

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I am looking foreward to hearing how windows Onecare shapes up .I think that once its out of beta we will know more. If they are using Rav then its up there already . I have run with this now off and on for a few months and have had no issues. Nor have I experienced any resource issues at all . In fact it runs really well for me. Light as with no conflicts . It fits effortlessly into the windows system as it should. Regarding the firewall it has both inbound and outbound monitoring. I would say here that it is in its developent phase and suggestions for further improvements to this are welcomed by the dvelopement team. All software has the ability to be improved and this comes through trial . windows One Care developers are capable of listening to the user in this regard and implimenting change and improvement. There is a natural proclivity to put down anything microsoft and no amount of reasoning will change some people from this view.However to such people I would say there is ample opportunity for them to use there expert knowledge to re write code and improve an operating system . Or drop the operating system and switch to lynux or such . .
    Now I am an average security concious user who is not skilled in security as many who frequent these forums are so my thoughts are just that However I can see the benefits for most pc users in this security program provided it does do that which it should do. Most users are not interested in making a career or pastime in internet security but wish to provide some form of simple but adequate security that can automatically keep their pc s updated and there av updated and protect them from 99.9% of problems so that they can use the internet as it was intended for themselves and family. If and when ( and I think microsoft are on the right track here) they do this then it will provide security of a high nature. However no amount of security can make up for sensible use of a pc, and this is where most issues are. Sensible use is not only clicking on any link or downloading all sorts of programs but also can be overloading systems with too much conflicting security applications , trusting these to to not conflict with one another.
    Regarding the price that has been mentioned . Assuming the onecare is going to be up there and I have a feeling it will be, then $50 for 3 licenses is very good. If you are a beta user then its even a better deal at $20 for 3 licenses.
    If you compare this with the competition that they are obviously targeting ( mcafee and symantic ) its not over the hill.. The cost of kav or nod renewal is higher than this and purchasing more than one license is very high in comparison generally .
    I would say that I have not run any other security applications with One care apart from running Cyberhawk for a week . This had no conflict at all. Its not uncommon for a AV to unload any other AV first so as to prevent conflict ( I mention this regarding the previous poster who says he/she had to unload all security applications in order to load up Onecare. I have not experienced this nor heard of this apart from a previously installed firewall or AV that may cause complications.

Some refections so far that I have noticed are .
    I did have a few issues in the earlier stages with updates ( these seem to be corrected now.) This may also be due to the fact that I live outside of the USA and the download is only intended for USA residents .
    Thats the only issues I have experienced .
    It has a nice way of introducing people who are not so security aware in a step by step process into a knowlegde of security. I believe it does this really well . The bottom line will be (for me) when testing is done by independant people who do not have an axe to grind either way , what the results or findings are.

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Just remember that , at this time , it is all or nothing . You cannot pick and choose what you wish to enable or disable . Compatability issues abound . For a suite , thankfully it is in beta . Meaning , it can AND should improve . But , it does not like many other apps . It will be interesting indeed

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Having said all that I dont think much will beat Kav 2006 security suite both on security and all round value :)

6. controler

controler Guest

I tried it when it fisrt came out and did not like it at all. Today i thought I would give it a try again to see how it works with Windows Shared Computer Toolkit.
    For some reason I am not allowed to turn on auto update. Is the Beta expired and now is subcsription?

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Seems to me it's aimed more at "average users" who might not know any better than to keep installing new products on top of expired products without uninstalling.
    $50 is a pretty good deal for 3 PCs however.

8. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I wonder if the outbound protection is limited to non-m$-approved products only.

9. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

The Giant/MS antispyware is a good program.
    Google has the googlepack, but there is no firewall in it so far.

http://pack.google.com/

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If I purchase a license for OneCare, do I get free upgrades too (i.e version 2006, 2007, 2008 etc.), or just updates for the duration of the license?

11. metallicakid15

you might wanna ask microsoft firecat :doubt:

12. tansu

tansu Registered Member

13. metallicakid15

well if the antivirus uses the rav scanning engine i see m$ having a succesful product.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I won't be using this as I already have AV/anti-spyware protection. It seems to me this OneCare product is only really going to benefit those people who don't already have some sort of protection in place.

15. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

There is one upside, Norton and McAfee will have to adjust their very high prices.
    Altough many people will find even 50 usd too much, as they have bills for telephone and broadband too.
    Free products will stay attractive and many consumers still like to make their own choice.

16. metallicakid15

i doubt mcafee or norton will raise thier prices... the lower the price and the good of the product, mroe sales that company will make

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Symantec is developing their own product similar to OneCare anyway. It's called Genesis I believe.

18. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

The security software is overpriced for the home consumer.
    Microsoft will charge 50 usd according to Alphalutra1 for it.
    Most people will find 12 usd a year enough.
    Because they have more costs and look at the total cost of what they spend on pc/broadband/telephone/cellphone bills.

19. RAV

RAV Registered Member

$50 USD is for up to 3 computers, so the price is pretty decent. Initial offering for only $20 will also get many on board.

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

its nastie!! if u want to reformatt... :thumbd:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  21. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Lets hope that the next version of windows is'nt AS exposed to malware, not needing a product such as OneCare.

Seems they have got things the wrong way round, instead of fixing the security holes they are just putting a bandaid over the hole.

The other thing is, if OneCare was essential, they would'nt be able to charge for it, or else people would start complaining they are basically paying for MS to fix their own problems. To me its just like plus pack, a set of goodies that you may find useful or get elsewhere.

22. JBBSF

JBBSF Registered Member

Anybody else have any reports from using OneCare? Hard to believe nobody is checking it out since Feb 17th?!

23. metallicakid15

well just have to see if av comparative tets onecare on the next test

24. thedon57

thedon57 Registered Member

Hi I am running one care beta no problems, updates ok, works will with nod32 wont let anything through first time unless you ok it, once it has the ok then will let through the next also works well with windows defender,

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No harm in hoping except that it,s hard to be fulfilled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.