Windows OneCare Live: Any reviews ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CrazyD, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyD

CrazyD Guest

I happen to come across this review on Windows Onecare : http://www.shahabjafri.com/2006/01/14/windows-onecare-live-beta-reviewed/

~snip~ Can anyone else post their experience wiht it ? I am thinking about installing it on my laptop.
    I am currently using Zone Alarm security suite and I dont like it. :( The firewall is good but the antivirus I cant understand.

Offensive wording removed-Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  2. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Extremely weak at virus detection and cleaning . Compared to many others anyway . The firewall is as weak , if not weaker than the AV part . And , last I checked , you cannot use most other AV OR firewall solutions along with this EVEN if you disable parts of it . Another M$ way of monopolizing something .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. eyes-open

As I noted earlier - Anyone here who has actually tested the Beta may be in conflict with their confidentiality agreement if they post their findings - causing the thread to be closed as before.

I don't know - I just mentioned it so that folks could judge how to post without falling foul of this detail.....

That said, what PC Mag says about Windows OnceCare Live is here:-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1910061,00.asp

5. hollywoodpc

eyes-open
    So you know , most of the testers received the beta by mail . Over a year ago . For those , it can be talked about . So , beta testers can feel free to discuss if they got their copy over a year ago . Would be nice to hear about it but , I tested it . Without going into detail , I shared what I KNOW is wrong . It would be interesting to hear what others have run into:cool:

6. eyes-open

Hi hollywoodpc :)

Are you 100% sure about the timescale - I had thought that testing didn't begin until May 2005 ?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not unduly concerned either way, I'm just receiving conflicting info.

I'm using the following as reference points:-

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/may05/05-13WindowsOneCarePR.mspx

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=163101740

This last one is a link to a Wilders search I did for Windows OneCare - nothing appears before May 2005:-

Wilders Windows OneCare Search

Regards - eyes-open

7. hollywoodpc

I am only speaking for myself . Yes . I am sure . I even have my package dated . Also , I never let anything out that is not already known in some circles anyway . And , seeing as how PCMag is not a distributor , how can they give the review without breaking the agreement ? Maybe I should say SOME testers . And please do not make the mistake that this forum holds and hears everything . That said , I assure you that I tested this well before May of last year . Be that as it may , I still will not talk about specifics , other than the compatability issue . Maybe other testers need to be aware of WHEN they began testing .
    One question . Since we could not even talk about it's existence , how did someone bring it up way back when with no problem anyway ? It is funny because M$ made a big deal about it themselves but , NOONE else could even agree that it existed . lol .

P.S. I was a private beta tester . Not a public one . That may be the confusion

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  8. wanker

wanker Guest

He said it took 25 minutes on broadband connection to download.. convert that to hyper slow aol connection and it will take approximently a year to a decade.

9. tayres

tayres Guest

Personally, I wouldn't run it without Microsoft's Anti-Spyware beta and something like Process Guard as a bare minimum.

10. eyes-open

@ hollywoodpc yes - that would explain the discrepancy :) .

@ CrazyD sorry if your threads gone off at a tangent. Obviously the freedom to discuss the software has a bearing on the information you're given.

For my part, based on the little I've read today - I would be surprised if someone recommended this to you at the moment. Leastways on a primary machine.

To balance things out a little I'll leave you with this link:-

Windows OneCare Team Blog

See how it looks from the other side.

Regards eyes-open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.