windows one carelive

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi

who is there right mind would trust MS to provide them with antivirus. its microsofts fault for having so many faults in the OS in the first place.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Don't count your chickens till the eggs hatch. It is possible MS might actually have a *good* product :eek:

Anyway, why wouldn't Microsoft make a good suite?

"First we create all these holes in the OS, then we release security software to protect users from the threats caused by these holes"....hmm, very nice marketing decision, I must say.

It is possible, however, that the MS product is good. Its just the marketing schemes I'm worried about. Let me give you an example. Say that Windows XP support has been removed by MS in 2010. Then OneCare will suddenly give me this message:

And when Microsoft removes the "extended" support for Windows XP in 2012 or 2013, I will receive this message:

And in case you don't want to upgrade to the latest Windows (provided extended support has not ended); buying a renewal for your license will be like going through hell, with hundreds of upgrade to Windows <Insert Name> ads.

I'm afraid of the above situation happening, which is why I'm adamant to touch OneCare with a ten-foot pole.

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

When one can competently deal with over 40 million lines of code or thereabouts without missing something, then we can safely say no faults will be found. ;)

4. Morley44

Morley44 Registered Member

40 million lines of code would be impossible for one person to control but not for a large team of programmers. Why pay Microsoft for fixing something that should have never been broken? We the end user are paying the price for Microsoft rolling out poducts to fast in order to make more money.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:doubt: I'm surprised they would offer support until 2012. :blink: O. K. then well at least we will have at least that long. As for OneCare I would not rule it out as eventually ending up taking a chunk of the market away from the main stream security apps. Especially the user who just wants no fuss security.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

From having spoke with several Programmers (not MS), how many thousands (or hundreds of thousands, or more) lines of that code are still necessary? All of them, without exception have told me there are 10`s if not 100`s of megs of code that date back to Win 95 and are no longer necessary. Do they contribute to the security flaws..........:rolleyes: That was not discussed. My .02, they sure can not help.

Having said that. Are there security flaws in other OS`s? You bet there are. MS is the big dog on the block, has been for a long time. They for the foreseeable future will continue to be and there fore will have the biggest target on their back for the script kiddies that have nothing better to do with their time and talent.

Back on topic. No, I will not try, use, or depend on MS for my PC security needs.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

They, IMO, are exactly who this is aimed at. "They", make up the majority of PC users. For that reason alone MS has a heck of a shot at becoming a major player.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

many knock windows and its a never ending song or wail. However why do this and still continue to use windows ? Isnt it like shooting yourself in the foot . I notice that windows onecare passed its first test with virusbulletin. i dont think their are many anti virus companies who have actually succeeded in doing this . I am looking forewards to IBK testing it as that will give a good balanced looksie. Rav always has been a good anti virus and although a few years have rolled on bye it still is showing itself to be right up there.
    I dont currently use windows one care but would not have any issues in doing so. I have tried it and found it decent and proberbly the best thing for 98% of computer users who dont want to make a career of pc security.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I do know about PC security and I still ordered Microsoft windows onecare. It should be here in a couple of days and I am surely going to install it and see what it is like.;) I really hope it is a good product. As has been already mentioned, it has already passed tests at virusbulletin and checkmark.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true i has passed checkmark which it used to fail i have read someold reviews and it used to fail checkmark but now it passes==p

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I tested it on my laptop, it's very basic IMHO, no spam filters, basic firewall with easy rules that don't promtp the user, the spyware was Windows Defender beta 2 & ran fine...AV had a slight system drag but nothing dramatic, however weighed in at 100, slightly heavier than I like, certainly better than McAfee Total Protection @170 & a very heavy pull on the system people will look at One care...

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

IMO, it's a conflict of interest and Microsoft has no business entering this field if they're going to charge a fee for this service.They created these operating systems that contain the security flaws,etc and they should be offering this security service 'free of charge', period.If you don't agree, then i have a used car to sell you.Keep in mind however, that once a month, you will have to bring it back to me for repairs.And obviously, that will cost your extra $$$.But that's okay, right!.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP3 will be similar to the one in OneCare :thumb:

14. Firecat

I still don't understand why OneCare will not work on Windows 2000. I'm pretty sure OneCare isn't tightly integrated into the OS; and neither does it use any "XP SP2" features. There are lots of users still running Windows 2000, and lots of AVs that still run on Win2k.

I'm sure it isn't very difficult to port the software to Windows 2000; given that its the same NT5 core as Windows XP. Then what is the problem? Obviously, Microsoft's so called "product lifecycle" and the fact that Windows 2000 is no longer in Mainstream support.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why don't you ask Microsoft . I have pretty nice conversations with them and they always reply to me soon

16. Firecat

How do I contact them? o_O

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

last time i wanted to contact MS i couldnt find a contact. all i wanted is an email address lol i looked on the know microsoft.com and found nothing

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have contacted them many times for variety of reasons and they have always replied to me , which is impressive for such a big company like them .

It depends what you want to do with them . See these:

www.microsoft.com/contactus
    http://support.microsoft.com

Attached Files:

• MS.PNG
      MS.PNG
      File size:
      84.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Firecat

The site asks me to sign in with my member account whenever I want to ask a subscription-based question. I don't even use OneCare. This is getting too much.

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Probably . If you are not MS OneCare customer , ask your questions in MS Newsgroups or MS Forums

www.microsoft.com/community
    http://forums.microsoft.com

There you'll find lots of knowledgable experts from MS and some non-MS employees like me :D

21. IBK

IBK AV Expert

OneCare is scheduled to be added in the tests of 2007 (February, etc.).

22. larryb52

23. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Quality product. Still a little green but should improve with age. Excellent support. Available at Costco. Watch out Symantec and McAfee.

24. larryb52

sorry for the mis post...

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well my Microsoft windows onecare came a couple of days ago. I installed it and it seems to do pretty well, no system conflicts or slow downs. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is almost no user settings. It is a very good suite for someone that doesn't want to be bothered with always checking the settings in their av. I would give it three:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: out of five. for the ease of use and the features.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.