Windows ntfs File Defragmentation from Bootable Media

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am just curious. Are there is any bootable defragmentation softwares that will defrag (from memory) a Windows ntfs partition?

I realize that Puran Defrag will do a full boot time defrag.

Thanks in Advance.

2. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Paragon Defrag 2010 offers a boot CD that will defrag if that's what you mean. It takes a while and while earlier versions were buggy it does a thorough job. If you have the app installed in Windows it will also schedule an offline defrag during a reboot... http://www.paragon-software.com/home/total-defrag/

3. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that it was not safe to do a boot defrag with a defragger that doesn't use the Windows defrag API i.e. that runs outside of windows during bootup.o_O IIRC there is a risk of losing/corrupting the volume, unlike with utilities like Diskeeper and others that use the native defrag API and the 'MS recommended method' ( what exactly it is, I have no clue) for the boot-defrag.

4. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I've used it a few times without issue...like I said, some of the earlier versions had issues (some reviews talked about systems being unbootable after using it). I have not seen or heard any such issues over the last few years. Someone online said it best...Paragon Defrag is to defragging like SpinRite is to hard disks...not something you use all the time, etc.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

UBCD4Win contains Auslogics Defrag and Defraggler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.