Windows .mrt log

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Apparently logs of the monthly Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool are kept in c\windows\debug\mrt log

I can verify by going to Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT
    Entry name: Version

that March 2009 ran, as the version says BDEB63D0-4CEC-4D5B-A360-FB1985418E61

However my mrt log is listed as mrt.log.old and the last entry is February 2005.

After reading here (where I got most of my info from)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891716

it says....
    Starting with version 1.2 of the removal tool (March 2005), this log file uses Unicode text. Before version 1.2, the log file used ANSI text.
    The log file format has changed with version 1.2, and we recommend that you download and use the latest version of the tool.
    If this log file already exists, the tool appends to the existing file.
    You can use a command script that resembles the previous example to capture the return code and to collect the files to a network share.
    Because of the switch from ANSI to Unicode, version 1.2 of the removal tool will copy any ANSI versions of the Mrt.log file in the %windir%\debug folder to Mrt.log.old in the same directory. Version 1.2 also creates a new Unicode version of the Mrt.log file in that same directory. Like the ANSI version, this log file will be appended to each month's release.....

As there is no other log there apart from the .old one, what happened to my unicode version? (not that I really understand what that version is anyway :oops: ) Should I be concerned?

xp sp3 fully updated

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

stapp, like you, I also have a mrt.log.old, dated 02/19/2005, in that location and using Notepad, this is what it says:
    I believe the reason why we don't see an unicode log version is due to this and that's why I'm not concerned:

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thank you very much for the reply JRViejo and expanation, I can rest easy now :)

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

stapp, you are welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.