windows media player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by samy, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samy

samy Registered Member

I had for many years some old songs in my laptop Library Windows Media Player, ripped many years ago from two CD's I've got from a friend.
    I recently purchased a new laptop and copied all My Documents files from the old one including My Music, which I transferred to the new one, and reformatted the old machine (to give it to my son).
    When trying to play now these songs from My Music I get a internet message from Microsoft stating that this is a DRM protected file and I need a license.....
    The CD's from which I copied the songs where already scratched and now are an-available (have been lost).
    Is there any way to play again these audio files? or are they "lost for ever"

Thanks

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Have you tried VLC?

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

No you havn't lost those files :) It's just MS acting as the copyright police :p

Daveski17 recommends the excellent VLC player :thumb: as i do, & i use. When you install it, be SURE to set it as your default player to prevent WMP from interfering ;)

4. samy

samy Registered Member

Many thanks for your assistance.

I installed VLC and set it as my default player (all the audio files have now the VLC icon)
    When playing an audio file the VLC GUI automatically open and the file is playing well, but when opening one of the "blocked" ones I get the VLC GUI but no sound (the cursor showing the song progress is moving). If I click on the tab AUDIO, all the options are gray except Audio track

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  5. guest

guest Guest

Try GOM player
    if it will not play it
    it will automatically go to the code you need and offer to download it for you

6. Daveski17

Have you tried Tools - 'Preferences' 'Input & Codecs' Settings?

7. samy

samy Registered Member

I played two audio files: one working and the other one from the problematic files. Both have the same parameters in Input & Codecs.
    Do I have to reset some settings?

Thanks

8. samy

samy Registered Member

I downloaded GOM and tried playing some files.
    for the "normal" ones the player worked satisfactorily, but with the audio files in subject it sent me to the Microsoft internet notice (same as under WMP).

9. Daveski17

To be totally honest mate, I'm not sure. I would think it was worth experimenting a bit though. There is a lot about VLC I don't know. I would definitely ask about this on their forums. It could be that you are having proprietary codec problems.

On my notebook I have a lot of video files from when I used RealPlayer (not a media player I would particularly recommend) & VLC is supposed to be able to run them. I haven't yet managed to get them to run on VLC.

This VLC wiki may help.

10. CloneRanger

@ samy

Glad you got VLC set up :thumb:

I heard a lot of record companies had decided to stop DRM :) but obviously older files will still have it embedded :( MS seems to be the last to hear about it :p

Also the law has been revised, in the UK anyway, which now Allows us to make a few copies, if legally purchased.

A trick that i KNOW works, is to convert the files from the format it's in to another one. This eliminates the DRM code ;) You can then convert back if you choose to :)

What format did you originally rip them to ?

Try it on one DRM file to begin with & let me know how it goes :thumb:

11. guest

guest Guest

mmm

I thought it would work for you, I guess I just haven't ran
    across the same type of file you are trying to play
    anyhow I wish you luck in getting the problem solved

Is this a new type of file?

12. samy

samy Registered Member

I ripped the CD's using WMP rip process. The audio files were then in the Library of the WMP and in My Music as MP3 files.

I tried converting a file to different other format, in vain.
    I used Daemon Tools, mounted an image file and tried to burn it to a CD (in order to rip it back) but with no success - cannot burn
    I used magic ISO - same problem cannot burn the files/

Any suggestion? Thanks

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does windows media player not give an option to connect to the web and obtain a license? i know in the past ive been in that situation and if you follow the prompts it will open a web browser and obtain a license for the file and it will then play.

14. CloneRanger

@ samy

MP3 format, OK

I would attempt to do ALL your copying etc Offline, so MS can't be contacted via your comp ;)

It "might" be due to them being in the My Music folder ? Make a new folder & call it Old MMF.

Other files may be hidden in the My Music folder, so you need to make it visible so you can delete them, as you Only want the Mp3's to copy.

In ( Computer ) select Tools/Folder options.
    Select the View tab.
    Select Show hidden files and folders.
    Deselect Hide extensions for know file types.
    Deselect Hide protected operating system files.
    Select Apply to save the settings and then OK to close the window.

Then see if you copy/paste All/Any of the Mp3's from the My Music folder into it, & then try playing at least one which was prevented by DRM before. Also try converting to WAV format & see if it works.

Failing that, you could use this :)

~ Removed Comment & URL as per TOS ~

After you've completed everything, you can go back & rehide Folder options, if you wish. Let me know your progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  15. samy

samy Registered Member

When I am clicking on an audio file I get what is well described in details in the following thread:
    http://forums.techarena.in/media-player/492310.htm

and I am getting the same feeling/"frustration".

CloneRanger
    You are right: MP3 format OK
    I converted a "working" audio file from MP3 to WAV - it worked flawlessly.
    Impossible to convert a "problematic" file to any other format ( I tried different conversion programs - same issue).

in the mean time I am going to post a query in the VLC forum as suggested above by Daveski17 :

16. CloneRanger

See my PM :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.