Windows mail on Seven

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rules, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Since Windows 7 is out, the on board windows mail is partly present in program directories and process run each time at startup using about 3500 to 4500 ko.

Of course with some drag and drop certain files you can use it:)

For those who not use windows mail, like me you can prevent the process to run each time :

Go to regedit :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Select the windows mail in the left pane ans just add a new DWORD (32bit) in the right pane ManualLaunchAllowed and press enter.

Just Log off or restart computer.

PS: Run both x86 x64

Rules.

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

There is no Windows Mail in the left pane. Are you saying Win Mail in Windows 7 can be launched and used by adding something as simple as what you are describing? I used to use Win Mail in Win 7 but it took alot more work than what you are describing

3. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Hi GregS,

When i say Windows Mail is partly present in program directories, it's not the left pane on the desktop is in C:\Programmes\WindowsMail for 32 bit architecture or C:\ProgrammesFiles (x86)\WindowsMail and C:\Programmes\WindowsMail for 64 bits.

Now, when you install Windows Seven go to the TaskManager (right click on the task Bar), you will see Windows Mail Processus using about 3500k to 4000 k in the Process Tab however you can't use it on Windows Seven.

If you want to use windows mail on seven you have to do this, but at you own risk :

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html

I prefer using ThunderBird:)

rules.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why would you want to use windows mail on windows 7?
    just use windows live mail the windows mail replacement.

I havent noticed the standard windows mail autostarting on eiether of my machines running windows 7.

5. vtol

vtol Registered Member

7x64 - checked in task manager but could not trace an instance of this process running. why would it run on its own?

6. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@lodore
    @vtol

Sure you don't have this process running ?

Rules

Attached Files:

7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

affirmative, not on my 7x64. I do not see a reason why it should as not being an integral part of the OS

8. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Not on my Win7 x86 setup it doesn't. You've got something wrong with your config there.

9. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

10. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Ok, guys after looking for different thread on various forums, some people don't have this process running and some have this process running.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/9020-Purpose-of-winmail.exe-running-in-Windows-7

Apparently Setpoint.exe from logitech loads a COM object for sending email even if you don't use the send email macro.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...s/thread/4f3e04ee-8b8b-4884-a33f-1638007d2120

I get Setpoint.exe, maybe this is why Winmail.exe process run.

Rules.

PS : My version of Windows Seven is a original Pro x64 Retail.

11. vtol

vtol Registered Member

then I would be concerned about this Logitech setpoint thing. why and to whom would they send emails, what content - did you consent to such behavior?

12. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Of Course Not i did not consent, and in my previous thread i say maybe the cause is setpoint.exe.

If Many Users of Seven can tell if winmail.exe is running or not on a fresh install with or without setpoint, we can be know what happened exactly!!!
    o_O

Rules

13. vtol

vtol Registered Member

the threads you pointed to indicate that clean installs of the W7 OS do not have windows mail started/running by default. you may try the analytic method as described in the MS thread to see what is causing Wmail to run on your machine

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Here I take ownership of the whole Winmail folder in Win 7 then delete and copy one over from a Vista VM.

I know you only have to replace probably one file but just as easy to replace the whole folder.

Then associate .mapimail with Winmail.

Could that reg setting ManualLaunchAllowed relate to unticking Check for new messages every 30 minutes?

15. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Ok, i found what is causing that, the driver of my keyboard set by default a extra key which launch windows mail, if i uninstall the driver the Winmail.exe disappear.

rules.

16. vtol

vtol Registered Member

good to know that you figured it. still strange that it assigns it particularly to winmail instead of calling the default mail program

17. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Even if i have thunderbird set as default, and install driver, the extra key still show the windows mail.

So now i understand why some users get it or not.

You totally right : a fresh install of windows seven don't have winmail.exe process on board.

thanks

rules

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.