Windows Logon Inherent Security?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DigitalMan, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

Hello - first post, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I did search but did not uncover anything to answer this question.

I know that creating a "guest" account in WinXP Pro can be done with a profile that prevents installing new software. I assume that the way Windows does this is not effective in blocking installation of viruses/worms/trojans, etc. - or it would be obvious and very easy to just use Guest accounts to avoid malware problems. Is this a correct assumption?

I understand that having a password protected login is good for the security of a PC that is unattended - but with only two people using my PC at home I was wondering if it was worth the hassle of using a login screen for the sake of security. How difficult is it to get around the WindowsXP Pro login prompt? I assume it is good enough to prevent the casual house guest, but not against a skilled hacker - is that a good assumption too?

2. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

If I may, I'd like to add, is it worth setting up a guest account if I'm the only user of my pc? That is, just to use the adminstrator account, or is this a no no security wise?

rgds
    jag

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.