Windows Live OneCare (Best for Windows?)...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wingman, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingman

Wingman Registered Member

I installed the NOD32 trial and have been happy with it, but have just stumbled upon a 90-day trial for Windows Live OneCare. Is there an advantage to using Windows Live OneCare over NOD32 (or any other AV program for that matter)? I know with this it is one program that does all, but how effectively? With others, you'd need a Firewall + Spyware program to run alongside them... is Windows Live OneCare good enough for an old XP user like myself?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What seems to have worked alright for me in the past is to use NOD32 as my resident AV but I also sometimes use the Windows Live OneCare online scan as an on demand scanner. It is supposed to be a virus/malware scanner, tune-up and clean-up. IIRC- it cleans up junk files and defragments your hard drive. It takes a while to complete so be sure and have something else planned while it runs. So far no problems from it either. Plus it is free to use.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm?mkt=en-US

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

once-care has been performing reasonably well in tests....in november "pc-welt" magazine did a test of onecare and it scored 81%....and i think detections might have improved with new(1.5) version..

5. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Only the oneCare Beta was free, the final product is a paid for product. And personally I wouldn't call ~80% "reasonably well".

6. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

7. Wingman

Wingman Registered Member

Thanks for all of the links and information. I called myself doing a search on OneCare but didn't get any hits, sorry to rehash the already hashed. Thanks again.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, .....

im bored, on vista.... going to give ONECARE a try :)

yes, seriously, gonna try it.

dont think i have the bottle eh?

see:

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1954764/0/nouser_1954/T1_-1_1954764.jpg

its ok, i have rollback rx installed for safe measure, gonna put it through its paces, and will let you know how i get one, and how the software gets on. :D

ok...

there really is NO SETTINGS, apart from "virus and spyware - on"

suppose its good for people wanting a set it and forget it type of protection.

STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM THIS!!!

especially vista users, didnt even get through 30% of the tune up and my screen BSOD and vista would not boot, corrupt or missing registry file, well done ROLLBACK RX !!!! :D

will not be re-installing it, didnt even get a chance to test its detection and removal, either the software is seriously bugged, or just plain doesnt work on vista, irony at its max, microsoft make the damn thing.

------------

now using the technology preview from F-SECURE (IS 2007 but for vista), see how that goes :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Is the beta for FSIS or FSAV? When I applied for the beta it was only for FSAV. If it is the suite I will try it.

EDIT: N/M, I found it and will install it tonight.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.