Windows installer runs on every reboot

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ajcstr, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Every time I boot up my laptop, windows installer runs twice each time showing a process bar.

How can I track down what is installing?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

But how do I identify what is trying to install? Won't I need this info for the cleanup utility?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is anything listed in the startup tab when you choose start, run, and type in msconfig?

5. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

attached is my startup list

Attached Files:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Gads, this brings back a painful memory. If you can remember installing some program about the time this started, uninstall and reinstall it. I wish I could remember.....

Pete

8. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

LOL - its my son's laptop (he's complaining its slow and wants a new one). I'm trying to clear out the junk :)

9. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Wow that gives tons of startups - over my head on this one, guess I'll just let it go, doesn't seem to do any harm - shame there is no log to review.

10. Stephen2_Aus

Stephen2_Aus Registered Member

LOL, don't let the computers win.
    You really need to understand what the hell your computer is doing.

That startup list of applications is ridiculously long.

1) CTFMON - An annoying and (nearly always) useless Microsoft product. Remove from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    It keeps coming back for me, so I ended up renaming "C:\Windows\System32\CTFMON.exe" to "C:\Windows\System32\CTFMON.exebak"
    (Load yourself now, MS!)

2) TOSCDSPD - Useless additional part of Toshiba CD drivers.
    Remove from KHCU:Run

3) MSMSGS - MSN Messenger - Sigh, if you must :p

4) Free RAM XP - Whatever, uninstall this. You have too much running.

5) Plaxo - Uninstall this ghastly program.

6) ARES - Why do you need your file sharing program to run at startup? To slow the system down? Remove the autorun. Oh yeah, could also be a worm/virus known as Gaobot.

7) AIM - See (3)

:cool: dla/tfswctrl.exe - Drive Letter Access - Installed by Sonic products. Usually not required. Remove the autorun and see if you have CD problems, shouldn't.

9) ATITPA - ATI control panel - Not required, remove autorun.

10) LTMOH - Lucent Modem on Hold. Do you use the computer to access a dial up Internet account? If not, remove this autorun. Even if you do, remove it, it sounds useless.

11) AGRSMMSG - Agere SoftModem Messaging Applet - Seriously, do you need 700 messaging softwareso_O

Look, I'm tired from Googling everything in your MSCONFIG. Finish the rest yourself, and basically, remove everything. At a quick glance, everything else is useless too.

The two things that SHOULD be on there are anti virus and firewall, and they're not.

You can either take my advice, and speed up/fix the damn laptop, or spend $1000 for a new one when you don't need to.

PS Tell your son to stop installing so much junk.

11. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Guilty as charged !!

Haha, thanks for the effort - did tell him there was no point in having the ares and aim come in at startup. Messenger is a waste too.

The Free Ram XP is mine - its a ram monitor - not needed as much since I added 500 MB Ram so that can go

THE REST OF THE STUFF CAME PREINSTALLED (and I was just afraid to uninstall) !!!!!!

AV and firewall actually do both come up at startup

But I still can't figure out the phantom installs - just ran a registry cleaner too and no change.

12. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Even after all that - disabled about half of the startups, ran a registry cleaner - machine boots faster but those installer windows still pop up

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.