Windows Installation Disk Command Prompt to Aid in Malware Cleaning?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What is the feasibility to use the Windows Installation Disk Command Prompt to Aid in Malware Cleaning?

Situation: You need to clean a PC which is under the control of Malware to the point where you cannot access Safe Mode and you are unable to run any Malware cleaners in Normal Windows. Assume: No Antivirus Rescue CD's are available.

I have seen people run Wordpad, Notepad and some other exe's from the Windows Installation Disk Command Prompt.

Example: Is it feasible to run Dr.Web CureIt from the Windows Installation Disk Command Prompt? Other Options include, but are not limited to, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Kaspersky TDSS Killer, etc.

I feel confident that the Emsisoft Emergency Kit's Command Prompt's Scanner would work, since it is designed for use with the Command Prompt.

Note: This is only a "What If" Situation. I am not in this situation, and I most always would have one or more Antivirus Rescue Disks available to use.

Thanks in Advance.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you don't want to use the command line itself and have nothing else to browse the OS, you can run notepad from the install disk command prompt, and use the "Open" file dialog to navigate the file system in a Windows Explorer-esque UI view without running the full Windows Explorer (which doesn't work within WinPE mode).

You can also run regedit and load registry hives to manually remove infections. I've used this from time to time with good success.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.