Windows indexing not indexing USB flash drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Windows Vista indexing service doesn't want to index my USB flash drive for some reason, even though the drive properties are set to "Index this drive for faster searching."

I'm working from Control Panel>Indexing Options. If I click the "Modify" button and add a folder from my C drive and then "OK," it automatically indexes it. But it doesn't do anything when I add a folder from my flash drive. I tried restoring the defaults, restarting and rebuiling the index but it still does nothing when adding folders from the flash drive. It does see the drive, as it appears in the dialog and I'm able to select folders from it, but it won't index. The files aren't encrypted or locked and the file types I'm trying to index are ticked in the File Types tab.

Is there some secret trick I don't know about? My flash drive's a PNY formatted to NTFS. It's working fine in every other respect. I've got Vista 32 bit, SP2. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

After some searching I found out it's because my flash drive type is "removable." Neither Vista nor 7 can index a flash drive unless it's "fixed." Apparently you can do it if you add the folders to Media Player's Library, but I'm not going there. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.