Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by psychokilla, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Hi, I'd like to ask...

If I make a home server with Microsoft's WHS, will I be able to install ESS on it and use this to protect it? Is it compatible basically?

If not, will ESET be making a version especially for Windows Home Server?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

youl need the business edition to run on a server

or to allow any applications that say "this software cant run on a server"
    you can use http://keznews.com/2755_TweakNT_1_21_download

havnt tried that on "home server" but succesfully got ess on vmware "server 2003"

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is something interesting I personally have no information on . Windows Home server is product made especially for home users but Home Edition doesn't support it ? o_O

4. psychokilla

So, any news on if/when ESET will be available for Windows Home Server?

5. JWilly48519

JWilly48519 Registered Member

My experience so far is that installing ESS 3.0 on a Vista Home Premium client tied to Home Server public beta prevents the client from accessing shared folders on the Home Server, even though a shortcut exists to those folders, whether the ESS install is in automatic or interactive mode.

Also, turning off the ESS firewall doesn't seem to be a persisting capability. Four times in a row now, the ESS install has turned its firewall back on without human participation, within 24 hours of it being manually turned off.

The Home Server installation is running Windows Firewall, but no AV software. It's not used as a client or for remote access, so doesn't have regular exposure to the internet other than via automatic update functionality.

I have a request in to Eset to return a copy of ESS and get a copy of NOD32 instead, since ESS so far seems to be dysfunctional in this particular application.

6. JWilly48519

JWilly48519 Registered Member

FYI, the public beta of Windows Home Server is a de-featured repackage of Windows Server 2003. It provides for automatic continuous backup of clients, shared server-resident multimedia folders, and backup of those folders' content.

7. psychokilla

Yeah I noticed that, so does that mean we should be using a server edition on WHS or can we use a home version.

Still no answers from any ESET staff, nice. Windows Home Server could be quite popular, I don't think you really want to sleep on this.

I've had a look and it would seem we would need to use the business edition of Smart Security on any Windows Home Server PC but if you buy that then you have to buy at least 5 licenses which can be pricey for a home user or family, will ESET be bringing out a 1 license version for Windows Home Server?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  8. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Any updates on whether NOD32 2.7 will be able to run WHS? I'm currently in the middle of putting my WHS together and am looking for suitable AV/FW to run on it.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 2.7 does work on Home server :thumb:

10. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Thanks for the info :)

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are most welcome

12. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

That's true - here are the USA prices:

a 4 user home pack is $95.99 - to step up to the 5-user business pack of Eset Antivirus v3.0 is $164.95... but - you get the mirror functionality. True your license price per machine jumps, but so does the available functionality does too.

13. webyourbusiness

v2.7 doesn't have the home/business distinctions - it was an "improvement" in v3.0. This means your clients must run v2.7 too if you want to run your own local update mirror, as v2.7 lan update version can only update v2.7 clients I am afraid.

14. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

Nothing from Eset yet? I, for one, would like a product that has their blessing and support!

15. psychokilla

16. webyourbusiness

know how many copies of home-server there are? Not that many, but the number will certainly grow... I am building myself a home-server machine this weekend...

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Please , share your experience after that .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.