Windows Home Server & ESS Smart Security 4 status 05-2010

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Fugazi, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fugazi

Fugazi Registered Member

Hi,

I have made some research in that forum and on the ESET website, and I am still not able to know if, now in May 2010, the version 4.20 can work on a Windows Home Server. Last year I reached the conclusion that it was still not OK, and installed a concurrent product. However, I have 5 machines beside the server that are all running ESET under windows 7 64bits without problem, and I would really like to know for sure, before renewing my license with the concurrent product, if some substantial progress has been made tweaking ESET for Windows Home Server.

Thanks.

PS: Unless there is a serious tweaking in the price of the product when it comes to a server version, I do not personally think that buying a license for an product that cost 4 times the price of the operating system is a serious alternative when it comes to Windows Home Server.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Home editions of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0 and later are compatible with Microsoft Windows Home Server. If installing ESET Smart Security on a Windows Home Server box, it is important to do so locally (e.g., directly attached to a keyboard, mouse and display) otherwise the firewall module will disable the network connection after installation when prompting to set the security of the zone.

For additional information, please see ESET Knowledgebase Article #2212, "How do I remotely install ESET NOD32 Antivirus (4.x) on Windows Home Server?."

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Fugazi

Fugazi Registered Member

Hi Aryeh,

Thanks for the answer that clears up the installation procedure of the anti-virus.

1) Do I have to worry at all about the firewall?
    2) Is the interface of the product compatible with WHS console?

I am looking forward to the installation of the product on my home server.

Thanks.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In response to your questions:
    1. ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not come with a firewall.
    2. ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not have a plugin for Microsoft Windows Home Server's console. Management would be done by logging in via Remote Desktop.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Fugazi

Fugazi Registered Member

Thank you Aryeh.

I should have made it more clearer from the outset that I was talking since the begining about Eset Smart Security 4.2, that includes NOD32.
    I have checked in some other forums, around WHS, and although it is actually possible to run Smart Security with WHS, overall the product is still not that WHS friendly.

So I am still left with a tough choice, keeping the other product, that does not require any maintenance and integrates with WHS, or have one single vendor, but having to remote connect on my server which I do occasionally.

In any case, your answers are very much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.