Windows help topics not displaying

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by KinkiKutie, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinkiKutie

KinkiKutie Registered Member

This has been going on for sometime on my computer, Ive run spybot and adaware. When I go to Start, help, and Ill use troubleshooting topic as an example, and Ill pick modems. It will say "click here" to start modem trouble shooter, click..... okay, then lets say I pick "my communications program does not work" and click on next, after hitting the next button, all that is displayed is a blank white screen.
    Ive tried this with a few things, but seems to be mainly in the troubleshooting portion of help, such as also the hardware conflict troubleshooter, etc.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi KinkiKutie,

Any idea as to when this started?
    And did you by any chance apply a workaround to disable chm files?

~I will move this thread to a better fitting forum~

Regards,

Pieter

3. KinkiKutie

Pieter, where did you move me too_O? Actually this has been going on for over 6 months, I just never really cared much about it. But being as this group was so helpful with my other post, I thought I might as well list another. What do you mean by the "work around" for the chm? :rolleyes:

ps.... where did you get the Metallica sign..... I want it

4. KinkiKutie

Re: Windows help topics not displaying (HERES MORE INFO)

So, regarding this little problem of mine, I went into help, and did a right click on the right hand screen, the properties show this would be something like C:\windows\Help|Tshoot98.chm::/w98___result.htm
    With the underscore being whatever I was looking at, be it modems, etc.
    I then went into that windows help file on my computer to look at it and it list everything pretty much in the help file. Most of the items are .chm or .hlp files. With a few exceptions being .chw files, which from what I understand is the index. I have one file that is different from the rest and it is TShoot.ocx
    So, now Im thinking maybe that little bugger shouldnt be there, and what is an .ocx file anyways.

This problem only seems to be in the Troubleshooting section, when I have to click on the "next" button, then I get a blank screen.

Thanks in advance for any info.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi KinkiKutie,

Snapdragin pointed me here after she read your question and I think she is right (but too modest).

This topic at TSG

Regards,

Pieter

PS I made the logo myself out of an existing one. Feel free to grab yourself a copy.

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

7. KinkiKutie

8. KinkiKutie

Re:(Pieter) Windows help topics not displaying

Pieter, I also think Snapdragin is correct, please give her my thanks for posting the link..... What a good eye!! This topic was from a few years ago in that forum!
    Now my problem seems to be the same as that young mans, we should have a file that looks like this in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\HELP\\TSHOOT.OCX"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

to where as mine and the young man in the other forum with the problem has 4b106875 with the rest the same. My question, as I hate to mess in the registry its all mumbo jumbo to me, is how do I edit that line to fix the number properly.

Thanks in advance, and I think I will copy that little sign!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.