Windows Free of MS Media Player - Jan 2k5 !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Spanner intheWorks, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Now only if Microsoft started doing that here in the U.S.

I'm not bashing MS, but I don't use WMP, so it would be nice to uninstall it.

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

They don't have much choice. It's an order by the courts

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Press Release European Commission, 22-12-04:

Questions and answers – Order of the President of the Court of First Instance in case T-201/04 R, Microsoft Corp. vs European Commission, 22.12.04 Reference: MEMO/04/305 Date: 22/12/2004
    MEMO/04/305

Brussels, 22nd December 2004​

Questions and answers – Order of the President of the Court of First Instance in case T-201/04 R, Microsoft Corp. vs European Commission, 22.12.04

What is the Commission’s reaction to the order of the President of the CFI?

The European Commission welcomes the order of the President of the Court of First Instance (CFI) because it means that the Commission’s March 2004 Decision (see IP/04/382) becomes effective immediately. Implementation of the Commission’s March decision will not only benefit consumers of computer products in terms of choice of media players on computers and choice of work group servers, but also stimulate innovation.

Today’s order is important because it preserves the effectiveness of antitrust enforcement, in particular in fast-moving markets as in this case. The order confirms, as the Commission claimed, that this type of case does not fulfil the criteria for a decision to be suspended.

What is the practical impact of this order?

The President of the CFI has rejected Microsoft’s application for suspension of the following remedies, imposed by the Commission Decision of 24 March 2004:
    • the obligation for Microsoft to offer an unbundled version of Windows, that is to say, a version of Windows that is fully-functional but without Windows Media Player (“WMP”); (“unbundling of WMP”)
    • the obligation for Microsoft to make available to its competitors certain technical interface information necessary to allow non-Microsoft work group servers to achieve full interoperability with Windows PCs; this having to be done on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms (the “interoperability remedy”).
    As a result of the President of the CFI’s order, Microsoft must now implement both remedies without delay. Indeed, while the Decision gave Microsoft various deadlines to comply with the remedies (90 days for the unbundling of WMP, 120 days for the interoperability remedy), all these deadlines have now lapsed.

Does this order end the review of the Decision by the Court?

It is important to understand that there are two different cases before the CFI. The order issued on 22nd December 2004 is about Microsoft’s request for suspension of the Decision pending the Court’s judgment on its request for annulment of the Decision.

The order of the President of the CFI does not prejudge the Court’s judgment on the request for annulment, which has not been delivered yet. The question this order had to answer was mainly whether the Decision should be stayed to prevent serious and irreparable damage being caused to Microsoft or whether the public interest in implementation of the Decision outweighed such potential damage.

Is this order about the fine?

No. The € 497 million fine was not the subject of Microsoft’s request for suspension. The fine was already paid in full to the Commission on 29th June 2004.

If Microsoft appeals this order to the President of the European Court of Justice, will the implementation of the Decision be suspended again?

The Commission had, in deference to the CFI, suspended the Decision waiting for the order that has just come out.

The Commission is not aware of any precedent where the President of the ECJ has suspended the operation of a Commission Decision pending his own assessment of an order of the President of the CFI already rejecting the request for suspension. It is also not the Commission practice to suspend on its own motion the enforcement of a Decision in circumstances of this type, where the President of the CFI has already concluded that there is no need for suspension.

What will be the market impact of the unbundling of Windows Media Player?

The unbundling of WMP from Windows will make it possible for other media player vendors to convince computer manufacturers to install their media player technology in place of Microsoft’s WMP.

As a result WMP will no longer be guaranteed ubiquity – unless it succeeds on the merits. Software developers and content providers will no longer be artificially induced to using Microsoft’s media technology by default.

The remedy gives consumers and computer manufacturers a choice between taking Windows with WMP or with a different media player. It leaves it to the market to decide on the final outcome of the competitive process.

What will be the market impact of the interoperability remedy?

Information technology companies will have access on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms to certain technical information pertaining to how Windows personal computers “talk” to Windows work group servers (these are the computers which are used in corporate networks for users to manage access to shared files, printers, PC configuration and the like).

Without this information, it is impossible to sell work group servers in competition with Microsoft. Microsoft has in the past limited the disclosure of such information, with the result that competition risks being eliminated in the market for work group server operating systems.

The Decision puts a halt to this process of elimination of competition and restores the conditions for competition on the merits to unfold. Competing products will be chosen according to their own merits (e.g. in terms of security, stability, price) and Microsoft’s own offer will not be given an unbeatable advantage through privileged interoperability with Microsoft’s dominant product.

Will the interoperability remedy benefit the open source community?

The Commission does not favour one business-model over another. The interoperability remedy is intended to benefit all actual and potential vendors of work group server operating systems, whatever their business model. Furthermore, Microsoft has an obligation not to discriminate towards potential beneficiaries of the interoperability remedy.

Nevertheless, to the extent the interoperability information at stake or the use of it is covered by intellectual property rights in the European Economic Area, Microsoft must have the possibility to require a fair remuneration and set reasonable conditions so as to protect its legitimate interests.

What will happen now as regards the unbundling of WMP from Windows?

Microsoft has informed the Commission that it has already prepared a fully functional unbundled version of Windows, which should be available on the market in a few weeks.

What will happen now as regards the interoperability remedy?

Microsoft has informed the Commission that it will in the coming days set up a “work group server protocol program” through which it will make available the interoperability information identified by the Commission’s March 2004 Decision, and allow the use of it for the purpose of building compatible products.

The Commission also understands that Microsoft is taking measures to comply with its obligation to set up an “evaluation mechanism”. This mechanism will provide persons who can benefit from the remedy with the possibility of informing themselves about the scope and terms of use of the interoperability information in question.

Microsoft can impose reasonable and non-discriminatory conditions on the access to, and use of, the interoperability information. The Commission understands that Microsoft is setting up a Web page where the said conditions will be described in detail. The Commission has had preliminary contacts with Microsoft on that issue but cannot take at this stage a definitive position on whether the terms imposed are adequate.

The Commission Decision foresaw a “monitoring mechanism”. Is that already in place?

The Commission Decision required Microsoft to make proposals to the Commission for a monitoring mechanism. The Commission is discussing with Microsoft on the basis of a proposal sent to it by the company and hopes to quickly sort out the logistics of this monitoring.

How do you react to the suggestion that the Commission looks after the interests of competitors rather than consumers?

Such allegations are sometimes made by critics of the Commission but the very question demonstrates a failure to understand how markets operate. Competition benefits consumers in terms of choice of goods and services, availability of innovative products and price. Without competitors, there is no competition. End of story.

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Press Release Microsoft, 22-12-04:

Microsoft Statement on European Union Court of First Instance Order on Interim Measures

REDMOND, Wash. -- Dec. 22, 2004 -- We are in the process of reviewing the Order by the Court of First Instance. Although the Court ruled against Microsoft’s request for interim measures, we are encouraged by a number of aspects of the Court’s discussion of the merits of the case.

While the Court did not find immediate irreparable harm from the Commission’s proposed remedies, the Court recognized that some of our arguments on the merits of the case are well-founded and may ultimately carry the day when the substantive issues are resolved in the full appeal.

While we had hoped that the Court would suspend some or all of the remedies in the case, we are encouraged that the Court has recognized that Microsoft has a number of powerful arguments that must be considered in the full appeal.

As the Court said, Microsoft established a prima facie case in support of our position on both of the major elements of the case.

We are hopeful that the issues highlighted by the Court will create an opportunity for the parties to discuss settlement. As we have always stated, we believe that there are better ways to address such complex and technical issues, with a minimum of harm to European consumers and the European technology sector.

We continue to believe that the Commission’s remedies will bring very few benefits to competitors and consumers in Europe, and will in fact harm many users of the Windows operating system and the thousands of companies across Europe who have built their businesses on the Windows platform.

We believe that the code removal remedy, obliging Microsoft to release a degraded version of the Windows operating system, will be harmful to consumers and competition and undermines the technology integration that has been the backbone of the IT revolution over the past 3 decades.

We will take a close look at the order before deciding on our next steps but we will, as we have always said, comply fully with the Court order when it comes into force, pursuant to contingency plans that have been discussed with the European Commission.

As this process moves forward, we will continue to bring new advances and innovations to European businesses and consumers and we remain committed to working with European governments on a range of important policy issues including privacy, security and applying technology to education.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Personally I use and like WMP 10 works well for me

bigc ;)

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

None of the WMP's have ever worked really well for me. Got 10 now and find it just as buggy as 8 & 9. I get "WMP has encountered an error and needs to close" message here and there. I particularly like getting this message AFTER I close WMP!

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would rather use WMP than RealPlayer or Quicktime, and you can get the alternatives to run those in WMP. Personally I've never really seen the problem with having it there as a backup to WinAmp, but I agree that it should be easier to uninstall.

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Why exactly are they removing it?

Jimbob

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Read the press releases and you will find out......;)

Ciao,

[GLOW="gray"] Smokey[/GLOW]

10. Jimbob1989

I was hoping I wouldnt have to read all that so early in the morning durring a school holiday :)

Jimbob

11. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

You asked the question, so read it Jimbob. Do not make everyone else do the work for you....

12. Jimbob1989

Why can members not just uninstall windows Media Player?

Jimbob

13. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

i reinstated post.
    I deleted what i thought was duplicate post.
    My mistake, sorry

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

No problem, I'm glad the problem is solved.

Thanks!

I removed my original question in this thread, is better for PR;)

Ciao,

[GLOW="gray"] Smokey[/GLOW]

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Can't say I ever had a prob with MP.....works for me.....I did update to 10 a bit back....thought it was rubbish.....so reverted back to 9...so far so good....as Big Ed would say.....'Play on'.......just make sure it can't phone home....you wouldn't like to BORE M$ to death would you?.... :D :D
    Oh! and there is a way to remove it completely from your system.....Wild Horses wouldnt drag the secret from me......but Money might.... :D :D :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

16. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I can't understand why the Eiropen commission are so intent on dragging computing back to the dark ages where the end user had major problems with running anything and cost a fortune and computing was given it's Geek Status

I want a computer to turn on and run the programs in it properly and do what I want it to

MP10 does whjat I want it to

It plays CD's and dvd's when inserted with no problems. It plays all the video/ music clips from the net

Why should I have to BUY extra software when an inbuilt one works

If I want extra functionality I install and use an alternative, but I like to just pess the biutton and it works

17. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I don't like and don' use WMP, but I cannot understand the Order of the President of the Court of First Instance and the European Commission.

I have bought another Media Player, but that is MY decision, and don't like it at all that the "Allmighty European Commission" decides what is good for Europe and me.
    And the European Commission statement "Such allegations are sometimes made by critics of the Commission but the very question demonstrates a failure to understand how markets operate. Competition benefits consumers in terms of choice of goods and services, availability of innovative products and price." is IMO just crap.

Look at me: I have WinXP with build-in "free" player, but I don't use the player and have bought another one.
    And besides that, WMP is not free at all, I have paid for it, the price is included in the license I bought from Microsoft.

Ciao,

[GLOW="gray"]Smokey[/GLOW]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.