Windows Firewall vs ZoneAlarm Free

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Shall I stick to the Windows Firewall or get ZoneAlarm Free?

1. Windows Firewall

80.0%
  2. ZoneAlarm Free

20.0%
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have had very bad experience with some Software firewalls slowing down my internet browsing such as Bitdefender Internet Security's built in firewall which is why I uninstalled Bitdefender Internet Security even though I have a valid 2 year license

Now I have been running the built in Windows Firewall for 2 weeks with 0 problems and internet has never been faster.

That being said, I just saw ZoneAlarm Free on MajorGeeks and was wondering is the Built in Windows Firewall good or is something like Zone Alarm a must?

I have avast! Free Antivirus as my antivirus and MBAM + SAS (On Demand Scanners), do I really need to bother or will thus slow my internet browsing / downloading of files just like Bitdefender did?

In this thread I read the d00d is saying running a software Firewall is just asking for trouble to happen = http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...firewall/331943ed-c2f2-4306-a068-1ec8dcf5e3a6

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Zone Alarm may be a good firewall from everything I've heard over the years it was an excellent firewall until the last few builds something went amiss, what that something is i don't know or if its anything at all.. could be the media, i did however see a thumbs up for the Comodo Firewall in the last post.. For now to make an educated guess I'd need the specs on your machine and the applications your running.. ;)

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Specs of machine are in sig

apps I run are:

- avast Free Antivirus
    - uTorrent (sometimes)
    - Dropbox constantly running
    - Internet Download Manager
    - Firefox FTW
    - Evernote
    - SVP (Smooth Video Project)

4. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

O.k. i can understand your wanting a secure setting but I'm not all that familiar with U-Torrent other than what I've heard through the grape vine P2P is something I'd be very concerned about if your into that sort of thing. Drop Box can add to your disk space in a quick New York minute, then you have that SVP (Smooth Video Project) As far as using Zone Alarm you'd be gaining the extra security your after but like most of the stories read its a bit heavy on resources, it will depend a lot upon how you want to juggle your applications around.. If not for that U-Torrent I'd stick with the Windows firewall, i say that because I've not used it just heard of it.. :)

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free. I don't trust Windows security softwares.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Try Online Armor. I voted for Windows Firewall though.

7. niki

niki Registered Member

Some do recommend Windows' Firewall with a router for Win 7.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.