Windows Firewall Service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by fanboy01, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fanboy01

fanboy01 Registered Member

Hello again.

I originally asked this question on Yahoo! Answers with unsatisfactory results so I'm asking this question again on Wilders hoping that I'll get a better response or two.

In case you're wondering, I only got one answer when I asked this question on Y!A. The answer was: "you may get viruses. you may turn off during games and on during internet usage". I'm not angry or annoyed at the answerer since they probably have never heard of Online Armor before.

Anyway....
    I was wondering if it was okay to turn off the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service? I don't use the Windows Firewall (I use Online Armor) and I don't use my computer to share internet connections.

Now, even though it clearly looks like I "answered" my own question, I found this piece of info about the "Firewall/ICS" service that caught my attention:

(from tweakhound.com)
    *Do you need this service running even if you aren’t using the Windows Firewall or ICS?
    The truth is as of this writing, I don’t know. I’ve tried both enabled and disabled. When this is disabled something is going on. I have the network icon in the notification area. When this service is disabled the icon will not show up unless I right-click on My Network Neighborhood. So clearly disabling it is affecting something. Having said that, there are no related errors in the logs and I’ve noticed no apparent effects in functionality.
    This service may cause problems on a high-speed network. See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842264

After reading this (and the Microsoft article), I now don't know if it's okay to turn off this service or not. My internet connection hasn't slowed down or anything. I could set this service to manual but I just want to disable it completely if possible.

Any suggestions if I should turn off this service or not will be appreciated.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Leave it on manual rather than disabled

3. fanboy01

fanboy01 Registered Member

Stupidly, I completely forgot about that option. Thanks for the suggestion. I will leave the service on manual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.