Windows Firewall Problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gismo999, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

Hi PPL,

I'm haing a problem turning off windows firewall...I know this sounds stupid but...
    I don't have a option to turn it off....

It only lets me click on "Don't allow Exceptions"
    The other 2 choices are there ON(recommended) OFF (not recommended) but they are not highlighted to change the option.

My husband turned off windows restore, so there is no system restore :(

I'm guessing maybe windows firewall is permently blocking something(he says no)
    so is there a way to unblock whatever is blocked or maybe another way to force windows firewall to shutoff?

I'm thinking this maybe my problem in the ewido section here!

Thanks Guys

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Can you post a screenshot?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If you are not using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), you can disable the windows firewall from within the windows services.

Go to the start menu / select "run",~ type services.msc, o.k.... in the services window, scroll down to windows firewall\internet connection sharing,... and double left click on this entry to bring up the properties window. Click "stop", and change the "startup type" to "disabled"

Pic to show:-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah just disable the service, if you ever need to turn it on again you should be able to just click 'on' in the firewall settings and it will ask if you want to start the service and you just click yes.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Without assuming wrongly....since you can click on "Don't allow Exceptions"....does that mean the dot is inside the ON(recommended) circle selection ?

To your knowledge do you have another firewall installed ?

Does this signed on user have Administrative privileges and just above the ON(recommended) choice does it say "You must be a computer administrator...."?

6. gismo999

gismo999 Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply, I can't get here as often as I would like ....but stem's reply fixed my problem.

Bubba I did have 2 firewalls running , I found it out by accident, I was hoping it was my prtoblem in the Ewido section here.

Thanks to all :)

7. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

This sounds more like a user policy issue. Perhaps the user account actually does nothave administrator rights so you can change basic default settings.
    Consider using an admin account first....

Perhaps not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.