Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

The old icon (shield) looked better to me, maybe an updated version of the shield?

2. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

What shield? How did that look like? Just recently purchased his product but followed it from the beginning. If memory serves, doesn't another security product use that?

Robert

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

4. Roberteyewhy

Thanks, Overkill. Did not know that. :eek:

But, I've seen that icon or real similar before; just cannot remember who uses/used it.

Robert

5. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

Thank you, alexandrud, great work!

That's really useful!

But not yet for ranges, can you add this too?

Greetings,
    Alpengreis (formerly SwissBIT)

6. Roberteyewhy

Welcome "new member" Alpengreis.:D

You will have a roller coaster ride here on Wilders...

Any thoughts on the GUI subject?

Robert

7. Alpengreis

"ReHi" Robereyewhy and thank you ;-)

The problem with the "SwissBit" nick is/was - it's a company name (registered in the commercial register) here in Switzerland. And to avoid any (legal) problems, a change of name was necessary ...

So for me, a change of icon is not necessary.

Have a good rest of weekend!

Greetings from South Foot of the Jura (Region Solothurn, Switzerland)

8. 123blackjack

123blackjack Registered Member

On windows 8.1,
    The live tiles are not updating when WFC is in Med filtering. Please help:rolleyes:

9. Roberteyewhy

I have not problems.

WFC is:

1) WFC-Windows Store (wwahost.exe).
    2) C:\Windows\system32\wwahost.exe.
    3) Allow Out 80,443 TCP
    4) Windows Store (Description).

Win8.1 Pro x64

Robert

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Check the Recently Blocked window to find out what is blocked and need to be allowed. Or even better, enable notifications and the notification sound and see what is blocked when they try to refresh. Somebody with a similar problem said that he needed to allow explorer.exe. It works here too with the recommend rules for Windows Store.

11. Roberteyewhy

Alexandrud, what do you think of adding in 'Manage Rules' when the user 'right clicks' on a rule their is an option to 'Enable All' and 'Disable All'? Or, on the 'Options' menu you put it there. That way the user can troubleshoot why there is a connection problem easier. Currently, the user has to go through every rule to either 'Enable' or 'Disable' a rule(s).

An example would be the Store connection problems that 123blackjack currently has.

Just a thought,
    Robert

P.S. IMO, you should raise the price for your product as it is worth it. You put in a lot of effort to fix problems and to incorporate new features; you should be rewarded for it...just business!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Try to select multiple rules and then use the context menu. You already can enable/disable all rules from one mouse click. To select all rules, just press Ctrl+A on your keyboard, and all rules will be selected like in any software. Then you can easily choose to allow/block/enable/disable them. This will apply to all the selected rules.

Regarding the price, 10$ is a fair price. There is no need to increase it. Anyway, I will not become a millionaire from these donations. ;)

13. Roberteyewhy

Did not even try that.o_O Never needed too...

About the increase well, what can I say, "You have ethics/honor!" Money cannot buy that.:thumb:

Robert

14. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hi all. First time to try WFC4. Have reg. & donated. Is there any particular recommended tweaks or just let it run 'straight out of the box'?

I'm currently running win7x64, AppGuard-4, MSE, MBAM.

15. Roberteyewhy

Hello. I just installed it and let WFC notify me of an outgoing connection. You can customize the rule directly from that prompt. Hover your mouse over the IP address and you can do a WhoIS lookup if you choose before you either Allow or Block.

Nifty and handy program to have.

Robert

16. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

RE: Outbound pop-up. Why no "Allow for now - ask me later" option?

17. Roberteyewhy

Yes there is. When WFC pops up, look at the 'Allow this program...' Next to it is a 'T'. Click on that and you will see the options available.

Alexandrud, has listed to his users and tried to incorporate these suggestions! There are features not visible within WFC...play around with it and you will see or ask and someone will reply.

Robert

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  18. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

WFC does not use any packet filtering and it can't implement rules for a specific process. So, a rule like "Allow for now" can't be created because WFC doesn't know when that process is closed. The notification dialog contains the possibility to create temporary rules. You can create a temporary rule for 5 minutes for example. This rule will be automatically deleted after it expires. This is the closest feature to what you need.

19. LillyTown

LillyTown Registered Member

I am interested in WFC 4, but I have no PayPal (no credit card). How can I donate from Germany?

20. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

You could create a free PayPal account with your bank account details...

PS. You should never do online shopping without a PayPal account, can't count how many times it has helped in fighting terrible customer service; a regular credit card transaction would have just put me at the mercy of the seller.

21. Alpengreis

Hi alexandrud,

here's my latest Problem-Report and Wishlist on things that are missing or do not work ...

[IPv6-Range-Validation]
    Ranges-Validation fails.

[DNSBL fails for IPv6]
    DNSBL check (over http://www.ipvoid.com/scan) fails for IPv6 addresses. More and more sites, services and other things (including eg Google) use IPv6 and we should really have support for it.
    --> Wird evtl. geändert!

[WHOIS fails for IPv6]
    WHOIS check (over http://networktools.nl/whois) fails for IPv6 addresses. More and more sites, services and other things (including eg Google) use IPv6 and we should really have support for it.

[Access for (Non-)Admins]
    This is clearly the most important thing that I still miss. I MUST have a solution for the following situation:

- I use my PC not alone.
    - I am the only admin (for all the admin things, inclusive firewall rules)

Then - at least at the end of my session - I must always (manual, each time) lock the WFC GUI with a password, otherwise the next user has admin access (can change rules)! I mean, trust in other users is good and right, but control is better! Then - at the beginning of my next session - I need to unlock the GUI ... else I don't receive any blocking notifications ... and so on and so forth.

Would be the following "Workaraound" possible? ...

- If a password is set, notifications are nevertheless displayed. But changes aren't possible.

[Password]
    As far as I know the password can be reset relatively easily (eg if forgotten). This mechanism should be "hardened". According to the motto: either we have a secure password as possible or do not even have one.

Or is the mechanism for NON-Admins safe enough?

[Service Name should be integrated in notifications ...]
    If a Service is used, this should be viewed and possible editable in the notification. I know, this is not an easy thing! Maybe you can tell if there are still chances that this feature can be implemented?

Many thanks for your answer in advance and have a nice week!

Alpengreis

22. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Homegroup problem.....

I created a Homegroup on PC1. PC2 & PC3 report they cannot see any homegroups. Do I need to adjust WFC4?

PC!=win7x64 WFC4
    PC2=win7x64 win7 internal fw
    PC3=Win7x64 win7 internal fw

23. Alpengreis

Hi AaLF

WFC isn't a FW - it's basically a GUI for the internal Win FW (with some additional features)!

Greetings
    Alpengreis

24. Paranoya

Paranoya Registered Member

I agree.
    PC!=win7x64 win7 internal fw + WFC4
    PC2=win7x64 win7 internal fw
    PC3=Win7x64 win7 internal fw

would be a better description.

Depending on your Notifications setting in WFC, you might not see blocked connections for svchost.exe and System.
    Test the WorkGroup again and then check out Manage Rules, Recently Blocked, and maybe you'll find the rules needed for the HomeGroup to work.

25. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

There are no integrated methods in the framework to check ranges of IPv6. For this problem, the solution is to use the "override validation" checkbox when the user input seems to be invalid.
    Please provide us some alternative solutions that work better for IPv6 addresses and I will update WFC to use these alternatives.
    Your solution will annoy the other users with notifications that have no use because the actions are disabled. I guess, I can do this and show the lock icon on the disabled notification. In this way, on the first notification you will be able to unlock it back.

The password is not so easy to reset. There are several steps that need to be done manually and this is not something that all users can do. Anyway, removing the stored password will not do this. It will just make it harder to remove it. The current mechanism is safe enough.
    The service name has a meaning only for svchost.exe notifications. It is not easy to get it and currently is not a priority.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.