Windows Firewall Control 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

@alexandrud

I'm not sure if the following is a bug or not. However: the behaviour is not right, so I decided to report it:

Sometimes - perhaps after HIBERNATION only (COULD be also after sleep), the WFC tray icon disappears. The service is still running and I can start the WFC GUI. It SEEMS so that WFC is the one and only tray icon with this behaviour.

Maybe you can initiate a reloading of tray icon after hibernate/sleep or something like that to ensure that it appears again.

Greetings
    Alpengreis

2. PrinceYann

PrinceYann Registered Member

Understood.

The reason behind the question is that sometimes I would like to add a new range of addresses to multiple block rules that are specific for different programs.

I am going to try what you suggested. Thank you.

3. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

The process wfc.exe is gone from Task Manager either or just the tray icon is missing ? When this happens again, please check this.
    I tried on my test systems, hibernation and also the sleep mode. Neither of them closed wfc.exe which was running just fine after the wake up. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this. I do believe that you have this behavior but if it is random, then it is hard to provide a solution. Normally, the process should not close out of nowhere. Please check the Application log in Event Viewer and WFC log to see if you see any exception logged there. If not, it is pretty hard to catch this scenario.

4. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

I can confirm the issue, though I never use hibernation or sleep, on WIN7 64bit. From time to time the tray icon has disappeared. As mentioned, the service still runs and the gui can be manually restarted.
    I will investigate, too, in case it occurs again.

5. Alpengreis

Thanks for answering, Alexandru. As I wrote, the service is still there and runs. Also, I had not opened the WFC GUI before Hibernation/Sleep. I had this - If I remember correctly - also on my older Installation with Win 7 already rarely.

It's nothing dramatically and I can easely start the WFC GUI nevertheless. Just the tray icon is no more there until I make a system reboot (probably logout/login would be enough).

I have no log because the only "crash" was the tray icon.

And a bit weird is that WFC is the one and only tray icon with such a "behaviour" ...

No worries ... it's indeed random (it SEEMS so) ... if not and I can tell you more (the reason), I will make another report then.

6. Special

Special Registered Member

Hi, can I recommend a small usability request to the GUI, specifically the right click context menu, INC a quick and bad paint job to illustrate my point, probably better then my words can.

http://i.imgur.com/vgTGCEr.png

That Profile > Arrow just takes time to navigate, it's not doing anything but waste time in order to quick swap profiles, I could maybe see the point of it if it were preventing option clutter, but there's hardly anything there to clutter.

and the "Main Panel" it just redundant.

Anyway just something to consider.

7. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I do not consider the Main Panel entry redundant. Indeed, it is launched anyway on left click, but for the right click context menu, I think it should be there. Regarding the Profiles submenu, I made it like this on purpose to avoid accidental switch of the profile. Sometimes, system tray applications may have a little delay and the user may press again outside of the context menu to close an unresponsive (delayed) context menu, but at the point the user clicks the second time, the context menu just appeared and the action is performed. Personally, I would like to keep the context menu with the Profiles as a sub menu.

8. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

Why it could happen that I am getting duplicated popups? one from WF and another from WFC
    This had happened me in different Windows versions at different points in time

9. Alpengreis

@lordraiden

From WF? The original Windows Firewall Advanced Security creates never popups for OUTGOING traffic ... on the other side WFC creates never popups for INBOUND traffic ...

Can you give more details?

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Please press F1 in any WFC window to open the user manual and read the following topic:
    User interface > Main Panel > Notifications > How does the notifications system work?
    It will answer your question. These are two different things, they are not duplicates.

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

What if I emailed you my Windows Firewall Rules? Perhaps if you have, or could find some spare time you could trim the fat so to speak and delete the useless duplicate rules for me.

I can certainly understand if you're too busy for that.

Cheers.

12. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Please read again my previous answer related to your rules set: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-firewall-control-4.347370/page-126#post-2674159
    If you are a home user, delete all inbound rules, use the WFC recommend set of rules as a starting point and add new allow rules when you launch new programs which don't have yet any rule. That's all. It is not complicated. Sending me your rules for cleaning them up, is a polite NO.

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Fair enough, I completely understand. :thumb:

Yep, I've done that.
    What you didn't say, or I quite possible missed it, was to delete all outbound rules and use WFC recommended set as a starting point. Anyway, I've done that now and instead of 315 rules I've so far only got 65.

The newbie factor is knowing for sure what I should or shouldn't allow.

14. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

You mean this
    I doubt the software for which I have seen the poups requires incoming traffic. I have never accepted those poups and the software still works
    I will take a look when I have the PC I took that quote from the web

We are talking about this, right?

https://goo.gl/images/zgbSbm

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Most programs will work even if you don't allow inbound access for them. If you saw that dialog, it is displayed by Windows Firewall itself when a software wants to open a port to listen for incoming connections.

16. Mister X

Mister X Registered Member

Namely and in my own experience: browsers like chromium ones.

17. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

have you confirmed this new method works fine on windows 8.1? thanks.

It seems you have changed to a new buggy API system that cannot delete rules? but netsh works fine on windows 8.1, so do you also use the API on windows 8.1 and does deleting rules now not work because of what you did for windows 10?

If yes please make it so windows 8.1 and 7 still use netsh thanks.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I just checked on a Windows 8 machine and everything works as expected. The delete was always made through Windows Firewall API and it works correctly on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. For the behavior that you have reported, please check your antivirus if it doesn't block WFC service from doing what it is supposed to do. The problem seems to be something on your side. There are no other reports with this problem.

The deleting problem was only on a specific build of Windows 10 Redstone 3, which was fixed by Microsoft in their next build.

19. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I got no problems, I am still on an older version :) But I wanted to make sure there is no issue before I updated. :)

20. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

alexandrud, I just noticed that I have a bunch of Enabled Inbound rules (Domain, Private and Public) in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Are you saying I should delete them ALL and start over with just WFC's recommended rules?

Or, just delete all the Allow Inbound rules in WFC All rules no filter?

Should I Restore Windows Firewall default set of rules THEN Restore Windows Firewall Control recommended rules and start over?

Which is best and easiest? Hate to have to start from scratch!

Thanks,
    Robert

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  21. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I'm still a fan of this software since it's initial release. Was great back then alexandrud should really be proud of this. Can't believe Microsoft still hasn't implemented something similar since XP SP2. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

22. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You don't have to start from scratch.
    1. If you have a standalone computer without no need to connect to your computer from another computer (remote desktop connection, files sharing, etc) then you can remove all inbound rules. ALL of them.
    2. If you only want to connect to the Internet (browse, chat, etc) you can also remove all default outbound rules. The ones that come with Windows Firewall by default. However, for Internet access, you will still need some svchost.exe and System rules, which are part of WFC recommend rules. Just recreate these rules from right click context menu in Rules Panel.
    3. If you have custom rules created by you (chrome.exe, firefox.exe, game.exe, etc) you just keep them so you don't have to recreate these rules.

The rules cleanup will take you less than a minute. Good luck. If you think that you may break something, first make a backup and if something goes wrong just restore your rules from your backup.

23. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Thanks, alexandrud. Did #1 and #3. No problems and like you said, "...takes less than a minute."

What I should have done from the very beginning was delete ALL Windows Firewall default rules then install WFC with recommended rules and build from there. Too lazy to do that now as do not want to deal with all the notifications.

Such a superlative product WFC is AND the advice that you provide!:thumb:

Thanks again,
    Robert

24. MaxXP

MaxXP Registered Member

Had a strange issue. Windows 10 Creators Update and running WFC.
    Firefox was real slow to load although I keep Internet Explorer for those times may need it but it would load fast.
    Uninstalled/Reinstall Fox and tried everything in Fox guides but nothing helped.
    Finally I switched WFC to No Filtering and Fox started loading fast. Bumped it up another notch still loading. Finally put it on Medium where I run it and all was fine

I recently had done an in place upgrade to Creators Update where it kept all the apps. 2 days later or was it 1(not sure) I was getting that black icon on WFC and went in and restarted the services and rebooted. Shut it down to go to work and next day when this started with Fox slow loading.
    Don't know why this happened but just FYI in case someone else gets it.

25. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'd use this, if it wasn't for the paywall.