Windows firewall advice for a simple life?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by flashgordon999, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashgordon999

flashgordon999 Registered Member

Hi, I am posting this to ask for the opinion of the "heavy users" in this great forum, where I find the discussions very enlightening even though sometimes beyond my understanding :eek:
    I have been reading about firewalls for a while, and I haven't yet been able to determine whether my security setup makes sense for my needs. First, my setup:
    realtime:
    Firefox with NoScript + Windows firewall + NOD32 Blackspear settings + Cyberhawk
    on-demand:
    KAV + AVG Antispyware + Superantispyware + A2
    I am not a gamer, I occasionally run eMule, if I download something I always scan it also with KAV, and regularly run scans with my on-demand apps. I also have a regular image backup in case I need to reinstall, both system and data.
    I understand that Windows firewall works only for incoming traffic. However I do not want to be bothered with setting rules, pop-ups and the like, so (finally :rolleyes: ) to my question:
    considering what I have written, do you think Windows firewall is appropriate, or what else would you suggest - that uses a *bare minimum* of my attention and learning? I am looking for a simple, yet safe, existence :cool:

thanks for your help, and happy Easter to all!
    flash

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Considering your precautions with downloading, and your security in place, your Windows firewall would seem adequate.

The need for outbound monitoring is directly proportional to your accessment of the likelihood that malware will get installed on your system.

regards,

-rich

3. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Overkill, drop A2, and you don't need KAV if you have NOD32.(Vise Versa)

4. flashgordon999

flashgordon999 Registered Member

Thanks guys for the advice
    flash

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.