Windows Explorer Shutdown Issues

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ftwynne59, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi all

This problem is getting rather annoying and I would appreciate some insight (fix!!) as to the problem.

Short history...a recent internal HDD crash meant a replacment HDD and a fresh install of Windows XP Home (carried out by an engineer under warranty).
    I began the process of installing all my security apps and favourite programmes (BTW...just days before the crash I did a full image with Acronis True Image 9 and copied to an external HDD...was succesfull in rescuing some important files and geeting them back onto my new internal HDD).

The problem....which seems more prevelant when I try to open/run programmes/shortcuts in folders from my Desktop....is the message "Windows Explorer has encountered and error and will close (sorry for the inconvenience...blah,blah")...with the option to send/dont send to Microsoft.The desktop blinks/goes blank, desktop appears and begins the process of loading desktop/systems tray icons.

My questions...what is the possible cause/fix? Is there a way to diagnose from an error log report what the problem may be? Should I choose the 'Send' option to Microsoft ?

I am confident this is NOT a malware problem (new HDD/fresh windows xp home install, fully patched , KAV6, Boclean, PrevX1, Superantispyware,Online Armor, Zerospyware.)

Prevx1 does show a entry re: Dr.Watson Postmortem Debugger....is this a link to the problem?

Any advice would be welcome to fix this real annoyance...:mad:

Regards
    ftwynne59

2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

I've seen this in the past on a win 2000 machine. make sure their are no other accounts and that you are infact the administrator. also you may want to just double check what's listed at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822797 keep us posted to your findings as it may help others along the way.

3. ftwynne59

Thanks Ravin

Just a note of clarification....you helpful advice seems to address a problem in 'Internet Explorer' . My problem is related to 'Windows Explorer'. Just wondering if I am explaining myself/the problem clearly enough ??
    Many thanks again for your prompt response...really appreciated.

ftwynne59

4. ravin

ravin Registered Member

5. ftwynne59

Thanks again ravin.....looks like a useful little utility...seems other who experienced this problem had some measure of success with it.

Will try it out and post results....:)

Cheers

ftwynne59

6. ftwynne59

Unfortunately Shellexview did not produce results...ran also Scannow and Chkdsk...clean and did not solve problem. Full scan also with KAV6 and Superantispyware...clean (I STILL do NOT suspect malware.)
    The problem persists...double clicking AND right clicking any folder residing on my desktop and bingo !...Window Explorer needs to shutdown etc!! Not just folders ...even the Recycle bin is not immune.I also get the odd 'DEP' message, followed quickly with the Windows Explorer need to shutdown. Bizzarely, this behaviour persists....then suddenly abaits....double clicking and right clicking does not present the shutdown message and I can open folders again.
    This is now becoming more than an annoyance...it is seriously affecting my enjoyment and use of the PC. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP !! (Apologies for the capitals but I'm getting extremely p****d off.

ftwyyne59

7. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Your only option probably at this time is to do what is called an inplace upgrade to your operating system. you'll need to close your security applications and then put in your operating system cd and select install. it should recommend upgrade after selecting install. also backup to removable media any important files so you'll have them just in case. Good Luck

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

quote by ftwynne59
    Why did you not use the full image backup and restore your system back onto the new drive? This should still be a viable option. What is I am missing?

If it were me, I would take a new full image of the new system just as a safety precaution. Afterwards, I would then use TrueImage 9 and restore the old full image backup and get my system back with the same content as when the backup occurred.

9. ftwynne59

Thanks to ravin and GroverH :
    @ravin.....I am trying other options before any other more drastic action (turning off DEP, installing uptodate Graphics Drivers, installing/re-installing proggies in case of bad install/file corruption etc).
    @GroverH....you are not 'missing something'. Yes I do have a full image pre-crash. I decided NOT to use that image for full restore as it would have contained all sorts of left over rubbish....what I DID decide on is to use Acronis TI9 to : (1) Take a full image of the fresh installed internal Hard Drive and copy again to external HDD(2) Take a full image again with all security apps installed and (3) take a third image after install of my favourite progs.

Looks like if all else fails I will restore image (2) and see the results....

Regards

ftwynne59

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.