Windows Disk Defrag not Working

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by DMoody007, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMoody007

DMoody007 Registered Member

I just installed Partition Manager and created a new partition on my drive. I performed surface scans and disk integrity successfully. I tried Windows Defrag and it won't work. It states:

"Disk Deframenter has detected that ChkDsk is scheduled to run on the volume: Boot Disk (C:) Please run ChkDsk /f"

I have tried this and I am told:

"ChkDsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts."

I responded "y" and rebooted. System checked without issue. Still cannot run Windows Defrag - I get same message. It worked fine before Partition install. Suggestions to correct this issue?

Thx,
    Douglas

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Try using the chkntfs /x <drive> command, this should remove the flag that says the drive needs to be checked by chkdsk, for example to remove it from the C drive you would use:

chkntfs /x c:

3. DMoody007

DMoody007 Registered Member

That worked - thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.