Windows defender???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hefaistos22, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

I use for now Spybot with TeaTimer,but i was wondering,how about WindowsDefender?is it still bad in detection?or the database is now better?cause i dont know which of them i should useo_O o_O

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

It shares ad/spyware databases with OneCare, and OneCare has been demonstrating tremendous improvement lately. No idea how it stacks against Spybot though, simply because I have no idea about Spybot's performance.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The TeaTimer feature of Spybot S&D provides some registry protection and that's all, so you could use Windows Defender with Spybot IMO. I can't comment on the current effectiveness of WD, but it has seemed useless to me in the past. I would recommend Spyware Terminator or Spyware Doctor SE (Google pack) if you want freeware with a real time shield.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Don't overlook the king of them all : SUPERANTISPYWARE !! :D

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Can you confirm this?

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

The only time I hear from Windows Defender is when an install wants to hook an auto start. Other than that...you wouldn't know it was there. Don't know if that's good or bad. :doubt: . But running Sandboxie might explain that, though.

Later...

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I finally managed to install Windows Defender.
    What a painful installation and what an ugly scanner. :rolleyes:

Full system scan results :
    No unwanted or harmful software detected.
    Your computer is running normally
    Time elapsed : 00:25:49
    Objects scanned : 335336

Almost 26 minuts to tell me I'm clean. This is way too long. I'm used to be clean in 2 minuts.
    One plus point : no false positives.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  8. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Two minutes for a full scan? Might I ask which scanner can do that?

9. ErikAlbert

I'm a FirstDefense-ISR-user, but this software is terminated and not available anymore, except the expensive server version.

I replace my system partition with a clean one during each reboot based on a pristine installation.
    I don't use any scanners anymore, but sometimes I like to check my approach with any existing scanner and today it was Windows Defender.

10. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

No app can perform FULL system scan in just 2 mins. Memory scan of running applications + registry check maybe, but not a FULL scan.

11. ErikAlbert

Well, I don't need to defend myself. I only see the results on my computer.
    I live already more than 6 months without any scanner and I ran most popular scanners already on my system partition and nothing was detected.
    As I said in my previous post, I replace my system partition with a CLEAN system partition during EACH REBOOT and my reboot takes 2 minuts from desktop to desktop.
    That's why all these scanners can't find anything because there is nothing to find on a CLEAN system partition.
    Sometimes these scanners find a false positive, like ShadowProtect but I'm 100% sure, that ShadowProtect is not malware.
    Next time I will try OneCare, but I know already in advance that this scanner won't find anything either, just like all the others, including all AV-comparative scanners.

12. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Since we are on the subject, I think it wierd that Microsoft haven't released any major updates to the program. It is still in version 1.1. OneCare has been released as version 2 some time ago, but Windows Defender are not.

I want some updates with big improvements.

13. ErikAlbert

Microsoft's security has no structure at all, it's just a random collection of security softwares and tools without a plan.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Is window defender free and OneCare a paid ware ?

If that is true to the teeth, then :D You know what that means. ;)

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

i agree with Albert,with each monthly update from MS it install the malicious software removal tool but i never noticed it even works,also nothing to find in the logs. o_O

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have this on both my machines.

It is free and is real time, what on earth is there to complain about. Near as I can tell it uses not much resources. I have not had it long better add that. :doubt:

No spyware protections come up with malware of significance on my machines again whats there to complain about. It is to MS advantage to offer this. It is not different in that area then AVG offer a free version or Avast free offering.

As for how good, someone else will need to answer that, but none of the Antispywares come up with anything so this is not a good test.

Are there any tests for Win. Defend??

By the way it takes about 12 mins or so to do a scan on my machines

17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

WLOC versions 1.x used WinDefender as a separate process. Since 2.0 was released however an enhanced version of WinDefender was incorporated into the OC's antivirus engine. When WLOC is installed it disables WD.

Attached Files:

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, I don't think anyone complains about the fact that it is free and offers a real time shield. I would also like to see it evaluated along side other antispyware applications in a recent test. I have come to think of it as useless because it has never found anything on any system I've used, nor have I heard it being effective for anyone else, but I realize this is anecdotal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  19. solcroft

It's consistent with every sample I've seen so far. I'm assuming VirusTotal uses OneCare's engine.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      10.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

This is waaay off-thread. I check in to read about WD & instead find EA's perennial posts about FDISR & frozen snapshots.

OTOH, solcroft's findings re OneCare's inclusion of WD's sigs are surprising & helpful. Thanks

21. solcroft

It's probably the other way round.

I read once on a Microsoft blog that the same malware research team develops the signatures used for all the company's blacklist scanner products (OneCare, Defender, MSRT etc). Can't seem to find that blog again now, though.

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Could have it been from here?

Anyway it implies what you said in the header "This blog provides information about what's happening in the anti-malware technology team at Microsoft. We're the team that builds the core antivirus, antispyware, anti-rootkit, and related technology, which is then used across a number of Microsoft products and technologies."

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is the most true and factual statement.

Microsoft is not in the business of Security, just manufacturing Operating Systems with a skeleton framework chalked full of files and extensions, and which are capable to be changed at will either maliciously or for productive usage.

Even if Microsoft could buy out Symantec, they still would have no better security than that customers experience now, and have for many years.

Thats why i don't trust even many of the security updates from $M, because even some of those have been re-exploited easily, and where not, it's but a simple matter for the more intelligent & digilent programmer to just switch to another of the thousands of loopholes that are fully exposed in their O/S's.

They are in the business of providing a PLATFORM from which others can add to. I think that should be very obvious by now.

Besides, with so many "FREE" exceptional security products circulating about now like never before, as well as their lead commercial offers, why would a $M O/S customer want to regress backwards and place their system at risk like that.

I say WinDefender is just another plain old gimmick and can offer neither trustworthy security nor protections that are required in the face of today's threats.

24. solcroft

According to you. And I think it's public knowledge how much your opinion is worth.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Never mind my opinion Mr Critic :cool:

The results speak for themselves. It's nice to know you have the corner on the value of opposing opinions though, so have fun. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.