Windows Defender question!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

The WD thread, relative to W8 reminded me to ask this question. Is my WD turned off because I'm using Norton AntiVirus? Thank you!

Never mind, as I checked the Norton forum and indeed they conflict!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

If another AV or AM reports to the action center in Windows 8, WD is turned off automatically. I have seen this several when checking out other AV's...

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

You should be glad it's off anyway it's the most useless security app ever made

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

On Windows 8, Windows Defender is what we know in previous operating systems as Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't think MSE is the 'most useless security app ever made' (I can think of a few others that may fit that heading)

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Especially what some people proudly display in their signature!

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Windows Defender is unfortunately the name of two different programs depending on the version of Windows. In Windows 8 Windows Defender is actually Microsoft Security Essentials renamed. In Windows 7 and earlier Windows Defender is, well it's not clear what it is, but I would agree that it's useless.

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Not fully useless but of limited value.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-defeated-85-of-malware-out-of-the-box

8. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

I wouldn't call MSW/Windows Defender the most useless security app ever made. Where did you get your facts from?

For most standard users it is more than enough to protect them from the majority of malware out there.

Interesting article there. Didn't realise that Windows Defender in Windows 8 was any different to MSE in Windows 7 to be honest :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I find this statement remarkable. I have yet to see Windows Defender (on Windows 7) catch even one piece of malware - not on my computers or for any of my customers. That is what I base my perception that it's "useless" on. I'd really like to know how you conclude it's "more than enough" for standard users.

10. er34

er34 Guest

In Windows 8, it is slightly changed and improved, though they share engines with MSE.

Forget me about interrupting but I can only wish you happy waiting then. The topic is for W8. Windows Defender is effective even in Windows 7, I have seen it remove successfully rogue software and Trojans which Norton or Kaspersky couldn't. You just have to wish to find such case, experiment and you'll be able to find it.

I myself find Microsoft antimalware products (call it Defender, MSE, etc) effective. These MS programs they are well made antivirus and antispyware. Problem is people trust only on these programs. Problem is also that testing organizations like AV-Comparatives or AV-Test test them only (not combined with other technologies).
    If you rely on the whole OS security just like it should be - results would be totally different. The whole OS security includes Windows Firewall, User Account Control, DEP, Smart Screen filter for Windows and for IE, Windows updates, Family safety (content advisor) etc.- these all are Microsoft 1st party technologies used to fight cyber criminals and cyber attacks. People test just MSE, which is only one weapon - this is not enough. But when people evoluate another antivirus (e.g. Norton) they try the whole suite Norton which includes tons of additions. Microsoft programs are fine, if you ask me - just combine them with what is already on board and always smart PC user. MSE and Defender are free, business products are cheap - nice :)

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed, in Windows 8 "Windows Defender" is actually Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is certainly more effective than Windows Defender on Vista/7 where it appears to be only an antispyware. People who buy Windows 8 are much better protected right out of the box. Whether or not it's "more than enough" for standard users is debatable. You're correct that security is implemented in many ways in Windows, such as UAC and DEP. Those features do not go away though if you install a stronger AV/IS.

My experience with MSE on my customer's computers is that it is disabled by viruses - it has no self-protection. There was a long discussion about this in another thread and in the end the people who use MSE basically said they don't care. Well, that's their choice and you can't argue with it.

Both of our experiences are anecdotal. Professional tests by third parties are needed to produce more objective, reproducible results and even then not everyone agrees. Just use what you think is best :thumb:

12. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

How ironic.

A guy listing Superantispyware as one of his products makes this claim.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-ftp

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Based on comments in other threads I guess you think SAS is "the most useless security app ever made", but we're getting off topic :D . The original question, which was "does Windows Defender in Windows 8 get turned off automatically when another AV/IS is installed" has already been answered, and now we're just nattering on....

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

So it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.