Windows Defender & Avira & My Other AVs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gonwk, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

I trust the feedbacks from this Forum on Security stuff ... with that said here is the set up that I am running right now ... and I update them on a Daily basis ... these are my Active AVs ...

- Avira 10.2.0.700 Free
    - Comodo Firewall 5.5.195786.1383 (latest) with Defense +
    I am ruuning in Safe Mode for FW and Defense + and Sandbox is ON.
    - SpywareBlaster 4.4
    - WinPatrol Explorer 20.5.2011.0

Now, Avira 10.2.0.700, on their Forum "Claim" that Windows Defender should be turned OFF.

But when I am going to Windows Defender Definitions Update page on a "Daily" basis ... it looks like Windows Defender is doing awfully Great Job catching a lot of Nasties ... Trojans, Dialers, and what not.

I personally want to Turn it ON.

Q: What I like to know if I will be OK if I turn on my Windows Defender with the above Setup?
    Basically I will Not be shooting myself in the foot and Compromise my AntiVirus and AntiMalware operation.

Thanks,

G! :)

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I think your main issue would be that you get dialers and trojans on a frequent basis that somehow slip past both Comodo with Defense+ and Avira.

Anyway, I'd turn off WD with Avira. There have been compatibility issues reported by people on the Avira forums that were solved when WD didn't run at the same time anymore.

3. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi King Grub,

Thanks for the Feedback ... I am going with your suggestion ... leaving Defender OFF ... will use On Demand "Windows Safety Scanner" ...

Appreciate the Help!

4. powerpack

powerpack Registered Member

Hi Gonwk,

As King Grub advised, turnoff Windows defender.

And you can add some really good antimalware scanner like Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro etc. Just search the forum you will get so many good Products and User's suggestion too.

Hope this help, :D

Thanks,
    PP

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Very strange indeed.Such a powerful antimalware combo (which i use it myself without any "bypasses") to be over-passed and put to shame by WD o_O

Something it's not right on your machine...

6. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

@ PowerPack ... Thanks for the Tips ... actually I have the On-Demand MBAM and recently added the Freeware version of the HitMan Pro 3.5 Scanner ... I love them both. MBAM is great.

@ JoeBlack40 ... Thanks for Your feedback. Joe, what I meant by WD catching lot of Nasties ... it was Not on my machine ... what I meant was when I look at it's Daily Changelog/History ... it shows it is continually adding New Trojans, Dialers, PWS, and what not.

Now somewhere on the Net I think I saw that someone was saying that "Micorsoft Safety Scanner" (MSS) uses the same Definitions as "Windows Defender" WD ... id that is In Fact the case then I am home free ... since I download MSS on a daily basis and run it's QuickScan ... which takes me about 4 minutes or so ... for my additional peace of mind.

You know I go to lot of wild sites ... so, that is why the Extra security measures.

Thanks again!

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Now i get it,but these words putted in that context...oh well,my English is not so strong as i thought LOL.
    As i said,my favorite combination is like yours,Avira free and CIS with D+ enabled.I found it light,powerful and effective.Is just i added for an extra "flavor" Sandboxie for browsers.And of course,WD is turned off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.