windows default beep sound from unknown app

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tkc, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkc

tkc Guest

occasionally, i'll hear the windows default beep sound while i'm using my computer. but i've no idea what causes it or why. it doesn't happen often enough to be annoying, but i'm just puzzled as to what could be causing this. as interaction with a program is often required to produce such a sound, i'm stumped when i hear it while i'm playing a game fullscreen.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Are you using Look n Stop firewall? If so go into the options and take the check out of the "Sound" option. If not, it would be helpful if you listed the programs you run resident (full time.)

3. tkc

tkc Guest

nope.
    i'm running gomez peer, netlimiter, mcafee viruscan, objectdock, rmclock, miranda, ZAP, wireless configuration utility, bitcomet, diskeeper, apoint mouse utility, firefox and the rest are windows services.

4. tkc

tkc Guest

hopefully any solution would not require me to disable each one and test if the sound appears as this would take a long time.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Of those I use ObjectDock and Firefox, and have used Miranda and Diskeeper in the past, and can say that I have not experienced anything like that with those. You might go through the options of the others to see if there is a setting for sound. Netlimiter and RMClock would be my first guesses, then maybe the wireless config and BitComet. Never heard of Gomez Peer, but might look there as well. I wouldn't expect any mouse utility to make a sound, though.

6. tkc

tkc Guest

unfortunately, with the exception of rmclock, i've used the rest of the programs for quite a while and i'm pretty sure they don't cause beeping sounds. and no one else has encountered unexplained beeping sounds while using rmclock (none that i know of).

7. squash

squash Registered Member

It's MJ Registry Watcher.

I had the same problem as you, and found that it was this that caused it.

8. tkc

tkc Guest

lol, i don't use that. but i found out it's prolly miranda causing the problem. i've a plugin that automatically reconnects me to the networks even when my network is off. this causes the beep sound when it can't connect. :)

9. LukaszJ

LukaszJ Registered Member

I noticed the beep sound when an email arrives in Gmail notifier.

10. tkc

tkc Guest

i'm not sure about that since i don't use the gmail notifier, but since i stopped running miranda on the laptop, there aren't any more unaccounted sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.