Windows 98SE, ZoneAlarm 6.1, and about to update AVG to 7.5 -- need help/advice

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bloomcounty, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Hi,

I've got Windows 98SE and ZoneAlarm version 6.1.744.001 and AVG 7.4. I'm about to upgrade the AVG to their new 7.5 version and wanted to know if I'll run into any problems with my set-up.

The version of ZoneAlarm I have is the older version, but I can't update beyond that because newer versions are not compatible with Windows 98SE. So I need to know if that version of ZoneAlarm will work okay with AVG 7.5 and vice-versa.

Also, will AVG 7.5 still be able to scan my email from Outlook Express like 7.4 does when it comes in?

I've seen some issues posted around that people are having problems with 7.5, so since I have old stuff like Windows 98SE and the older ZoneAlarm, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into any problem.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

2. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

I installed AVG free 7.5 yesterday on a W98 PC and got a fatal error this morning and trouble with updating.
    Installed 7.1 again and everything is running smooth again :)

3. bloomcounty

Hmmm... So what will you do when they stop having updates and definitions for 7.1 after the first of the year? Try again?

Thanks for the reply!

4. PierreF

Yes I know, only 6 weeks to find an alternative.
    I couldn`t use Antivir anymore so I switched to AVG.
    Seems they want W98 users to be without protection.
    There is no AVG free 7.4 or 7.3 so we will have to look somewhere else :D

5. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

6. dtraylor

dtraylor Registered Member

Look no further than Avast. Free for home use. I run it on my win98se laptop. I don't install the optional modules(mail, p2p, IM) besides realtime and http(web) protection.

www.avast.com :D

Doug

7. PierreF

I tried Antivir a few weeks ago after reading on the forum the issues with windows 98 were resolved but unfortunatly it wasn`t so.
    So I will probably stick with AVG for a few weeks and look at the options.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I have no probelms with AVG 7.5 using security suite with 98se ,and it is extremly stable.The email scanner is the same as with 7.1 so theres no reason for any problems.I dont use ZA so cant comment if therell be a problem with that though.I too, still think antivir is a gamble on 98se.Each update usually (in my case at least) caused problems of some kind or another.
    ellison

9. bloomcounty

So AVG Anti-virus 7.5 doesn't cause problems with your Windows 98SE? Any thoughts as to why it does so for PierreF and why so many others (not necessarily with Windows 98SE) are having such problems with it? o_O

Thanks!

10. ellison64

Without having any more information at hand ,such as what other programes (if any) are being run it ,or what other programes have been installed/unistalled recently...no really.As you know one of the problems with 98 is that programes can install older or newer versions of the same file ,which can cause problems withe newer programes that make use of newer files..Other than a process of elimination theres not much you can do to find the problem.
    ellison

11. PierreF

The problems lay with AVG 7.5 and Antivir 7, previous versions and AV from other vendors don`t cause any problems.
    The panel of the new AVG looked a bit nervous too, not with 7.1
    Maybe this gives you a clue?

12. ellison64

Im not sure exactly what problems occured as you havent gone into details about what was happening or what error messages you recieved..As for the panel looking a bit "nervous" ,i know that on my particular machine if i have 7.5 in the extended view ,there is "drag" on the module boxes, when scrolling quickly through the security status window.Is this what you mean by nervous?.Because of this i just use the reduced view.The reasons for this im not sure of ,possibly because i use an old machine that cant handle modern graphic rendering i suppose?.I know antivir 7 gui also strains on opening on my system compared to the 6 version.
    ellison

13. PierreF

The error message was something like fatal error occured from Vxd VKD.
    Sorry I dont have the paper anymore.
    It looks like the panel is vibrating a bit, when I look a the old panel from 7.1 all is normal.
    Maybe the concept of one download fits all doenst work.
    Antivir 7 did cost a lot of trouble and time, unfortunatly it looks like AVG starts causing the same kind of errors.
    Normally I rarely have a virus, but to be safe you want an AV.It doesnt have to be the nr1 in the test, just a plain and simple one that works and doesnt produce errors.

14. ellison64

The error message is not much to go on.Perhaps if you install 7.5 again you can replicate it.If you had antivir on before AVG then id suggest using the antivir uninstallation tool in case 6 was not uninstalled properly.
    www.avira.com/en/support/av7_upgrade_tools.html
    I do not see any vibration of the panel so cant comment on that.I havent experienced any installation or running problems with AVG 7.5,though as i mentioned i dont use ZA.I guess all you can do is run the AVs you wish to try individually and disable or uninstall other apps that may be conflicting with it until you find whats causing it.Obviously you will need to uninstall and clean properly all remnants of each AV in case its causing any conflicts.
    ellison

15. PierreF

Thanks for your reply Ellison.
    The trouble with AVG started the next day after updating for the second time.
    Installation and updating the first time whent well.
    I dont think Zonealarm or any other software causes the conflict since the older versions of AVG and Antivir work flawlessly, and I use Outpost free.
    Like bloomcounty I ran in the same trouble that you don`t have a wide range in AV`s and firewalls when using Windows 98.
    They would gain a lot sympathy and customers when they would provide updates for the older versions wich work.
    Some company might think they can push customers to use Vista or XP but they are wrong and damage there brand.

16. ellison64

I guess i was getting my wires crossed between you and Bloomcounty Pierre.I thought it was you that used ZA.In your case i would defintly check out whether the problem is between outpost free and AVG.Outpost version1 free is renowned for its buggyness and instability by itself and with other apps ,and outpost forum members will tell you as much.You may want to try the avg plus firewall edition or the security suite which also has the firewall.Both have trial versions in case of any conflicts ,and both work (at least i havent had any problems) with 98.I can defintly agree about antivir 6 being no problem whereas 7 was on 98, but i honestly havent had any problem with 7.5.You would be better off with an early version of ZA or kerio 2.15 than outpost free IMO.
    ellison

17. bloomcounty

ZoneAlarm 6.1 is the highest version that will work for Windows 98SE.

I actually haven't run into problems with AVG 7.5 yet, as I haven't tried installing it yet! :)

If I do run into problems and want to revert back to 7.1, where can I download that from? And would I still be able to get it back "up to date" like it is now on my system by just downloading the updates like normal through AVG? (Meaning, would all the updates, etc. from the past be downloaded and updated if I had to revert back to 7.1 after trying 7.5?)

Thanks!

18. PierreF

Hi, I think its best to keep the old AVG for a while when all is fine.
    Maybe they will come with a new version in januari with no bugs for w98.
    Otherwise you will spend a lot of time for nothing and be irritated when you will get BSD or fatal errors.

19. bloomcounty

Where can I find a downloadable copy of AVG 7.1 that I can then update back to what I have now before they stop doing updates for it? (Meaning, if I want to try 7.5 and it doesn't work and I need to revert back to 7.1 -- I don't have the old .exe for 7.1 anymore.)

Thoughts? Thanks!

20. ellison64

Personally i d just try 7.5 as if you want to use AVG your gonna have to use that anyway pretty soon.I honestly cant see any reason why it should not work (unless you are using DSC port explorer which can conflict with AVGs email scanner and firewall)If it doesnt get on with your setup then try antivir or avast or aols stripped kav.
    ellison

21. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Dr.Web Antivirus, according to their website will work on Windows 95/98. I cannot comment on the compatability with Zone Alarm. You might ask this question in their forum. A license to Dr.Web is very reasonable. It's a very good antivirus solution.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

bloomcounty do a google search for AVG 7.1 you will find several sites for it there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.