Windows 98Lite... And IEradicator

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I was browsing through, and I happen to find 98Lite preview, it says it can speed up the Windows explorer? and doesn't have any annoying nags, I'm wondering, with the 98Lite preview, do you need to reformat/and or reinstall Windows98? Or does it install like a normal prog? Can it be uninstalled? (Without reinstalling Windows/reformatting)?, Is it safe to use? Also, does the IEradictor completly remove IE? (I never use it), and is it also safe to install?

2. sig

sig Registered Member

You might want to download the 98Lite manual to see what it says, installation instructions, etc. http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html I imagine if you remove IE you'll have some increase in speed but how much I don't know. Some people have said that the difference in speed was not that great. With the major surgery that the full registered version allows, perhaps. Especially the micro install (but I think you need Win 95 install discs for that, since it's more like a Win 95 base).

The benefits of 98Lite (full version) is customizing the OS and, I understand, greater stability, speed would probably depend on your machine and what profile you choose, like the micro for example.

There are some members here who do use 98Lite and can probably answer your questions through first hand experience whenever they drop by and see your thread. The preview I believe does allow for removal of IE and perhaps a few other things. My understanding is that the prevew version can be used for an existing 98 or ME install (and apparently for a clean install as well). The full version also I think can be used for an existing install or a clean install, which is probably preferrable as all clean installs usually are. The manual should have instructions, though.

IERadicator does delete IE and I understand it is a one way deal. I know of people who have used it to delete IE permanently and others who deleted it since they were having problems with IE and just wanted to start over from scratch so they then reinstalled IE. Even with a reinstall though, the integration with the OS was removed, which for some users is what tprecisely what they wanted: a stand alone IE.

Anyway, you might browse through the manual until someone who's actually used it can respond to your questions. (I have a 98 Lite CD just waiting for me to get around to using it. ;) )

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Thats for the help, I'm getting ready to look through the manuals right now, I was looking at the 98Lite preview page, and it says:

"Proof of Concept"

This FREE Preview is a no-nags, unlimited preview for what 98lite Professional can do to dramatically improve performance and stability under Windows. The feature set of this preview is restricted compared to the Professional version, but you do get the most important functions that speed up your system with the following features:

* Configure your desktop in three different ways that suit you.
    SLEEK    - a blisteringly fast incarnation of the Windows 95 Explorer
    CHUBBY    - a faster Windows98 Explorer without the web integration
    OVERWEIGHT    - the fully featured Windows98 Explorer complete with web-view and active desktop

SLEEK and CHUBBY dis-integrate your web browser from your desktop while allowing you to keep Internet Explorer for web browsing.

More Information on 98lite shell swapping features...

* Options previously unknown in Windows.
    This Preview converts Internet Explorer, System Information and Read-Me Files from default features to optional components. You can choose to omit these features during installation, or convert an existing installation and remove the features you are not using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.