Windows 98 does not recognize DVD drive

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by bdrogin, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdrogin

bdrogin Registered Member

I got Acronis Disk Director so I could partition my 160GB drive on my new Dell, isolate files from the Windows XP operating system, and be able to run old programs that didn't run on Windows XP on a Windows 98 partition. I got everything set up nicely, but that Windows 98 is so ancient that it doesn't have drivers for my new equipment. Biggest headaches - it doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drive, so I can't install drivers I have on disk; it doesn't recognize my Ethernet card, so I can't surf the Internet for drivers; it doesn't recognize my modem, so I can't use dial-up as an alternative to surf the Internet for drivers.

Not recognizing the CD/DVD drive bothers me the most, especially since, of course, I installed Windows 98 using the CD/DVD drive. I would think it's a BIOS problem, no? I'd appreciate any advice, and links to any resources I can use to point Windows 98 to find the new drivers.

Of course, the ancient game my kids love to play requires the CD to be in the drive, so fixing this problem pronto is a big priority. I even tried copying the contents of the CD to a 1GB FAT16 partition that Windows 98 thinks is the "D" drive, but the program isn't fooled.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bdrogin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please note that this particular thread is devoted to discussion of Acronis Disk Director Suite and that is why I need to close this particular thread. If someone knows a solution for you he/she will certainly send you a private message.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.