Windows 8 will return Start menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cruelsister, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Ref: http://www.securitylab.ru/news/438306.php

For those not familiar with Russian:

Comprehensive update Windows Blue will return to the familiar Windows 8 "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of the OS.

New comprehensive update to Windows 8/RT, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Phone 8 and cloud Outlook.com and called SkyDrive Windows Blue appears in the middle of this year. One of the purposes of this update is to optimize the work and the interest of the users of the operating system from Microsoft.

As requested by users of Windows 8, developers will return to running the usual "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of Windows. Recall that in the newest version of Windows "Start" button has been replaced by a screen with "live" tiles that reflect the application. This change, of course, suitable for users of devices with touch screens, however, the management of the mouse on the laptop or PC, the interface is not as practical.

According to the Net Applications, the share of Windows 8 operating system market is growing , but demand did not meet projections. One reason for this was just a new interface, not enthused by users. In February of this year, Windows 8 had 2.67% of the OS market, which is slightly higher than the January result of 2.26%. The most popular are still in earlier versions of Windows 7 (44.55%) and Windows XP (38.99%).

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Wow, I should have upgraded to windows 8.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even if it's true, who cares? The missing start menu isn't the problem. Metro is the problem. When they make Metro optional, then I'll celebrate.... :)

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Correct, the missing start menu is not a problem, as one can be added easily. Can you define what you mean by "Metro"? I am not sure what you are wanting to see as optional.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

@ cruelsister,
    =
    ----------------------------------

Sorry, Windows Blue won't bring back the Start button

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The entire Metro (as they originally called it) UI and interface with apps and so on.. all the touch oriented stuff that doesn't belong on a non-touch desktop or laptop. I guess they call it the "modern ui" now, or something similar... In other words, I'd like to see a boot to a standard desktop without any of the full screen metro apps and nonsense there at all as an option. And no, I don't want a 3rd party app for that, I want it entirely gone (optional), with no defaults to Metro style apps for pdf viewing, picture viewing, music, and so on. If they do that, I will cheer... But I know they won't... ;)

7. woomera

woomera Registered Member

i hated start menu and im loving the metro. if they switch back i wont update/upgrade.
    start menu is BS for modern windows. users fan of start menu should just stick to XP or get poorly designed third-party softwares for it! heh
    Metro UI is the best appearance change microsoft made since the whole UI of XP! people are just too damn lazy to take time and learn how to use it.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is nonsense... The real problem, and why people complain, including those like myself who have used it for extended periods of time, is the inclusion of the entire touch related Metro interface and apps on desktop and laptop machines that do NOT have a touch interface. In other words, Metro is inappropriate on those machines.

The simple solution, which MS could have easily done, would be to query the hardware during the install process, and if a touch screen and interface were present, then install Metro and related apps, if not, then leave it all out. If they had done this, then everybody would have embraced Win 8 and been happy. But they chose not to. Their loss IMO...

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

So is this going to be a free update or a paid upgrade?

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, this would have been the logical thing to do & I'm pretty sure if they had done this in the first place Win 8 would have been much more successful instead of being the turkey that it is.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yeah, unfortunately a 3rd party app is as close as you will come to that. I do find it annoying that the default for some file types is the "Modern UI" type of apps. Like trying to open a graphic file and being taken away from the desktop. You can change the default program but you should have been offered a choice for all file types upfront instead of changing them as they are encountered. Overall I have made Windows 8 acceptable after some tweaking and 3rd party apps but it is a bit of time and work to get there.

12. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

If this is true then many people have been wrong about MS not listening. I'll wait and see if any other changes have been made before I make a final decision.

I have to admit I'm really surprised if they actually brought it back.

Is it not possible for users to avoid Metro and simply use the desktop and its software? That's what I'm doing now.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's what I did, I pretty much lived in the desktop when I used it for a month or so. I just wish they had made it optional. Would have been a much cleaner experience IMO....

14. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I agree with you. It would have been way more professional for MS to ask during installation which UI you would prefer.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

16. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Now if they would bring back Aero glass. It may be a minor issue, but I just don't like the visual aesthetic of Windows 8.

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Take this with a grain of salt.

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Guys- This story was from the Russian Site SecurityLab which is pretty reliable and was a few hours old as of the original post here. On contact with them, this story relates to the Second Milestone version of Blue which will be released in mid-March and the source is one of the developers.

Apparently it was Steven Sinofsky, since fired, that was all hot for Metro and not so much for the Start button. Seems that the new regime is backtracking. But proof positive will be if the story hits any English sites in the next 48 hours or so.

But no matter how factual, StartisBack (nothing more than a registry liberation) is still the BeesKnees for Win 8.

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Nobody does. ;)

20. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The gap between where windows 8 is and where it should have been may be vast but the changes to get there are very small.

1. Default the UI to match your interface and make it easier to override the default.
    2. Leave the start button alone but make it easy to disable (some people are happier with it gone).
    3. Spice aero up a little instead of killing it off.

If just these 3 things were different from the start on top of all the things that DID improve in Windows 8 you would be hard pressed to find a Windows 7 fan that hated Windows 8.

21. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Just give masses the damn option to choose what they want. If people don't like Start button, if they don't like the clock or heck don't even like the desktop then by all means let them disable it. Don't copy Apple in locking everything down because I will simply buy Apple instead of this joke called Windows 8.

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

:thumb:
    I have not tried Windows 8 yet, but from all the research I have done it's only worth purchasing for portable devices IMO. Why would someone want to run a bunch of non functional software with their system :thumbd:

23. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So Windows Blue will just be an update for Windows 8, not a standalone OS and not freeo_O Then what's the big deal?

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Like already mentioned above. Windows should scan one's system hardware during installation to see if the system supports Metro Apps. It would have also been very easy to give a start menu option. Microsoft could have easily appealed to most users. I have to question their common sense. Common sense does not seem to be so common these days. I thought they liked making money lol

25. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Should have been a super 7 not a stuper 8.:D I do have to new Vaio with stuper 8. I just Unpin all the tiles except the ones I want and put a classic shell on it.Another words I just took its clothing off and made it naked.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.