Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i don't want to look like an OLD MAN
    but i didn't like it
    i think i'm going to skip this or Move to linux

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Focus on the subject, instead of each other. Thank you.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Microsoft Screws Up Windows 8 by John C. Dvorak.​

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"If Apple jumped off a cliff, Microsoft would jump shortly thereafter, only with less elegance."

LOL! :D

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's quite simple to me really, these "extra tools" aren't free. They simply look that way because they are bundled with an OS designed for situations where those tools are actually going to be used, a.k.a. Enterprise, not at home.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I understand that some of these tools require a deeper understanding to use properly, therefore being more suitable for those in IT/very experience home users. However, I don't think it's in the interest of any user to not include these powerful tools, nor in Windows best interest. Business tools are one thing, security should not be an exclusive club to which only the highest payers belong.

A "normal" user can screw their system all to pieces by using said tools in the wrong way (or not at all, depending on what threat they are facing)..but, if you haven't noticed lately, so can careless/lazy "pros". Why won't there be? Money. How will this help the horribly bad security reputation of Windows? Not one little bit.

P.S, yes, I know that would raise the price.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

While I agree with that view - and, I actually mentioned something similar a few pages behind - we cannot forget that the very same people who will be deploying such tools (like AppLocker) are administrators. These same people may also run systems with Windows at their homes. It makes sense not to have to pay more for an Enterprise version, just to get AppLocker.

I wonder if Windows 8 Pro will have AppLocker? o_O

Due to how business is done, yes. But, it doesn't have to be like that. They could very well just have two versions: Windows 8 Desktop and Windows 8 Server. (I'm excluding WinRT.)

This way, instead of having Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise, they would only have one version. Then, depending on the user's needs, they will or won't use everything that comes with it.

And, to be honest, does anyone use everything that comes built-in? I don't use Windows 7 games, yet I had to paid for them. Maybe we'll get a Windows 8 Gamer edition? :D o_O I also don't use the DVD Maker program... Maybe Microsoft will release a Windows 8 Theatre version. :D

I mean, there's a lot of stuff I don't use in Windows 7, and it's there. :ouch:

8. elapsed

I'd assume that's the stuff that qualifies under "free" (Firewall/Defender didn't raise the price), but I agree with your main point, the less versions the better. :)

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. guest

guest Guest

Windows 8 blog explores Metro app memory use

Source.

11. elapsed

Good news! Looks like I'll be sticking with the pro version though.

In other news:

Reclaiming memory from Metro style apps

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/04/17/reclaiming-memory-from-metro-style-apps.aspx

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Same Topic.

13. guest

guest Guest

Source.

14. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I tried Windows 8 for about an hour in a VM and I was very disappointed with it :doubt:

15. m00nbl00d

WTF?!!

AppLocker only in Windows 8 Enterprise? o_O If Metro wasn't a good enough reason not to buy it, for sure not having AppLocker in Windows 8 Pro is WAY MORE than good enough reason not to buy it!

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

-edit-

If Microsoft continues with this trend, then Windows 9 Enterprise will also be the only version with it. Uh oh... hello Linux. :) I think Windows 7 is my last Windows version. lol

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  16. guest

guest Guest

AppLocker in Windows 7 is exclusive to the Enterprise/Ultimate version as well.

BTW, I doubt anyone outside of an enterprise environment (apart from hardcore paranoid geeks who love to see their systems as analogous to "fortresses") would see any use for this feature. No big deal.

17. m00nbl00d

Yes, also in Ultimate version. The one I got. And, if you take a look here -http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx you'll see that Windows 8 Pro will be offered as an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

So, we can conclude that these versions are not intended for the casual home user. So, it would make sense for Windows 8 Pro to have AppLocker included.

There's no reason for a Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro versions, if I don't get AppLocker with Windows 8 Pro.

Paranoid? If you say so. But, I suppose it's just like not having BitLocker, Boot from VHD and a few other stuff in Windows 8. They're only part of Windows 8 Pro.

Even booting from USB is only for Enterprise version. :thumbd:

18. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft may be making an error then. I think Windows 8 Enterprise is the logical upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise.

And I don't agree with that comparison. BitLocker is much more useful than AppLocker for a much larger number of persons. Just compare the number of people talking about one and the other (search engines can help measuring that).

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

AppLocker is perfectly suited for Professional as it can be used by an administrator to lock down employee machines (where Professional is targeted.)

Not including it in Pro seems silly.

20. guest

guest Guest

Seems good for Microsoft who will have a more desirable and costly OS offer.

Seems bad for some geeky users who will have to pay more if they want the most complete edition.

Oh well.

My wish now is that they don't set the price of Windows 8 Enterprise higher than the price of Windows 7 Ultimate. The Windows To Go (exclusive of Windows 8 Enterprise) looks very attractive.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree it's hope against hope but a preferred compromise would be to offer it at least within the same reasonable range of a Windows 7 Ultimate. Most casual users i'm familiar with prefer a Pro model for the full functionality of an O/S.

22. m00nbl00d

Exactly. Not to mention, as I wrote a few posts behind, that the same administrators for sure are capable of doing the same at their homes to their systems. Of course, this means locking down their kids systems, for instance.

Also, Microsoft can't be arrogant to the point of deciding who is or isn't capable of implementing what ever is to be implemented in Windows. They should give consumers the options to secure their systems.

The way I see it, this is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

@ guest

My point with BitLocker and this kind of thing, is that millions of users most likely don't know they got it in their Windows 7 version, even less use it or know how to use it. So, why not have it in the Enterprise version only? lol

23. m00nbl00d

Let's see... Metro UI + lack of security control from Windows 8 Professional + current economy situation... Somehow, I'm failing to imagine enterprises going crazy for Windows 8 Enterprise. :D

Microsoft really is shooting themselves in the foot, but of course they make a living on user's ignorance. Sometimes ignorance is a bless. If consumers knew what to fight for... they don't... sadly.

24. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Has anyone read anything to the effect that there will be another Win8 RC (Customer Preview) release before RTM?

25. guest

guest Guest

m00nbl00d, there are plenty of security improvements in Windows 8 apart from AppLocker. You talk like if AppLocker was something that everyone would want/need to use. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.