Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Well after living with this 'baby' for one month now, my feeling is that:

I would not use it in the future, in its present form, unless MS are prepared to provide options (on installation) to avoid Metro, and critically, offer the
    Start button...can't live without it as general navigation becomes (imo) less flowing, despite Charms bar, keyboard shortcuts, and so on. It's just too
    "clunky" for average desktop use.
    Virtually all of the apps (in those unattractive tiles) are of no interest to me, and don't like them at all. so I've been dispensing with them, one by one. But
    can see how many (?) might like them on their tablet/smartphone.

Please Microsoft, don't sacrifice the Windows Operating System on the "alter of BYOD"...it's not going to succeed like this. Seek another way.

The way things stand, I can forsee Windows 7 having more than 50% of World Market share 3-4 years from now, and deservedly so.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

This expresses my feeling about it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/up/sshot4e77c9a905137.jpg

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

tgel did you mean to post a link to a 403 Forbidden ?

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The link works for me.

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Windows 8 Preview Beats Windows 7 in Most Performance Tests

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I tried to disable metro by disabling WinRT services, SystemEventsBroker and TimeBroker are no problem to disable, but BrokerInfrastructure is that evil thing. When I disabled it, I got a black desktop -http://imageshack.us/f/689/capture04042012105619.jpg , everything works just fine there, but I have to launch everything via taskmanager. I assume, that desktop is just another metro aplication, so if I knew, what a desktop is called, it might be added to startup and metro could be disabled, well, just guessing.

9. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://www.blackviper.com/2012/04/03/one-interface-to-rule-them-all/

10. Yes thats what i want to stare at a giant smartphone. windows 8 I do not like at all, another shortcut taken by Micro$oft to fill their Corporate pockets.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Explain to me how it is a step to fill their corporate pockets considering how big a risk it is, and considering how much people hate change? They are clearly following an ideological dream that Bill Gates had from the very beginning, it's quite clear to me that they stand a higher chance of loosing profit instead of gaining it.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

ROTFLMAO! Oh dear, that 'giant smartphone' quip made me laugh so much I think I have had a bit of an accident. :D

13. Daveski17

Well, it is to try & compete with Apple isn't it? Win 8 (the giant smartphone desktop) may be great on a tablet, but I seriously think that MS are making a mistake with Metro unless they release a very good conventional desktop alternative.

Which wouldn't exactly make them very smart would it? ;)

14. elapsed

Really? Apple followed an ideology that everyone laughed at originally, look where it got them. How many people took the original iPhone seriously? Like I've said before, there is no possible chance to make major changes and get it right first time, it simply isn't human. Mistakes have to be made for progress to happen, that's how products evolve.

15. Daveski17

Agreed, but in doing so it isn't very smart to alienate your regular customer base either is it?

For all I know, when I eventually purchase a new computer, the desktop version of Win 8 will seem great to me. I liked XP when it first came out, most didn't, or so it seemed to me. I still like Vista enough to keep it on my notebook. Win 7 64 bit is excellent.

This is the first Windows release I actually am having grave reservations about. I admit I haven't used 8 yet, so I can't really be objective. But it really does appear to look & feel all wrong. I'm pretty sure touchscreens will never become popular outside of tablets. As for Metro, there is a conventional desktop alternative right? Please say yes.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hopefully it's ok to post this here.. More interesting discussion on 8:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/59a0d78c-4bcb-4115-a646-7a685f5ba6eb

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/11a73728-c4cb-4417-ab82-ff0de58dc3c2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/3946817b-a50c-47d5-b70a-25739b229991

I like playing with 8 to some extent, but I just can't get over the feeling that Windows 8 and Metro are one huge mistake for MS. Metro somehow just seems inappropriate for the laptop and desktop, no matter how much I try to accept it.

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'd like for Windows to be able to use different desktop/windows manager.

on Linux, if you don't like Gnome, you can install, E17, or Mate, or Cinnamon, etc...

thankfully, i was able to change the windows and taskbar skins in Windows, using a 3rd party app.

i swear, i will go postal if i have to look at Aero ever again. ;)

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/a-power-users-guide-to-the-windows-8-consumer-preview/4717

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Any of those here testing Windows 8, are you registered in Microsoft's forum or whatever place, where you can give them feedback?

20. guest

guest Guest

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/faq

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The screenshots I've seen of Windows 8 are enough to ensure that I will not be using it. It has accomplished one thing for me though. It has me downloading and trying more linux versions.

22. elapsed

Anything that gets you off Windows 98 is good :D

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can't hurt to look around a little.... ;)

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

How about a better AppLocker, that actually also allows the user to restrict what file system and registry areas a given process can have access to? Yes!

We do have MIC, which is great and allows many tweaks, but the above would be better, together with MIC!

Training mode, Audit mode and Enforce mode!

This is important within an enterprise policy!!! Even Linux has it, which should put Microsoft to shame! It's actually something I like about Linux. As I said above, Windows does have MIC and ACLs, but the above is very important from an enterprise security perspective.

Is it too much to ask for this, considering it's a damn paid operating system?!!! NO!!! But, what for?! Metro... takes you anywhere... anyway... anytime... away from Windows. :D

Of course, Windows 7 AppLocker should also be patched to include that!!! Start working Microsoft...

Anyone is free to pass this to Microsoft, along side their PowerShell backdoor... (I did pass them the backdoor info... lol)... Slap them in the face!

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It is getting hard to not see it that way, especially when you put this together with "flaws" like Circumventing SRP and AppLocker by design, with LoadLibraryEx. These literally look like designed back doors that get called flaws or bugs when they're found. This is supposed to be among their best security features. How can they not see or check this stuff? You'd think if anything was going to get tested hard, this would be it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if "flaws" like these are the result of the "help" they received from the NSA.

Nah. I left enough room for linux. If it gets too tight on room, I can always ditch XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.