Windows 8 ESS 6 strange random freezes

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Br3ach, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br3ach

Br3ach Registered Member

Hello,

I have a super bizarre issue with transient Windows 8 desktop freezes. I was getting desperate and finally uninstalled ESS 6 and voila - they went away!

Unfortunately it's quite difficult to reproduce as these only happen when I am folding (see folding at home) on my GPU. Yes, I know doesn't make any sense! Though the FAH control software communicates with the back-end (called FAH core over TCP localhost so it could be the net filtering...).

What happens is that all of a sudden the Windows will freeze (meaning literally everything will freeze) for about 1-2 minutes. Then things will continue as before... until X minutes later.

Specs:

ESET Smart Security 6.0.316.0

Windows 8 Pro x64 / i3770k @4.6Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z77 1908 BIOS / 8GB DDR3 1600 CL7 / nVidia GTX 670 @1267Mhz Core Driver: 314.22 / PSU Corsair AX1200 / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, HDDs in RAID

Before you ask - yes, I'm 100% stable, temps are fine, there are no crashes or freezes in any other application, all BIOS/drivers/chipset/etc software is latest. All Windows Update Hfs are applied. Yes, it does happen at stock clocks on the CPU/GPU.

I can't get a dump as the system is totally not responsive when this happens and there are NO errors or warnings in Windows' event log. I am sticking to Windows Defender for now, but - HELP! :)

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi there Br3ach

A guess from me, but have you tried to uninstall the software that you install from the , flash-installer 7.3.6_x86.exe, that is nessesary to start folding? It could be, that Eset and the software from Folding, colliding somehow?

Regards, Janus

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If possible, first narrow it down to the particular module as follows. After each step, try to reproduce the issue:
    - set firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" + restart the computer
    - set firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" + restart the computer
    - disable HIPS + restart the computer
    - disable automatic real-time protection startup + restart the computer

Let us know if any of the above made a difference.

4. Br3ach

Br3ach Registered Member

@Janus - I reinstalled FAH several times, no issues at install time.

@Marcos - OK - will start testing and will update.

5. Br3ach

Br3ach Registered Member

So:

- set firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" + restart the computer

-> Done - freeze occurred.

- set firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" + restart the computer

-> Done - no freezes.

How would I troubleshoot this further? Thanks.

[Edit]
    By the way here are the net properties of the FAH processes - one or more of the other ones communicates with Fah_Core15.exe which is the process which when running together with ESET firewall causes the freezes:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28406605/ess.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. Br3ach

Br3ach Registered Member

It seems this wasn't caused by ESS after all - sorry about that.

7. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey Br3ach

Just out of curiosity, did you become any wiser (or found a solution), on what the reason were to your issue, regarding to why Windows 8 desktop freezes?

Regards, Janus

8. Br3ach

Br3ach Registered Member

Yeah, I did... kind of. I updated my video card's BIOS (EVGA 670 FTW) to the latest one (80.04.5C) and moved to the nVidia 320.00 beta drivers and along the way the issue's fixed ;-) So nothing to do with ESS it seems.

9. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi

Thanks Br3ach for posting back, :thumb:

Regards, Janus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.