Windows 8 Compatibility - Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 12 Suite

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by FOrmula400, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOrmula400

FOrmula400 Registered Member

The Windows 8 Compatibility program tells me that all my Paragon software is incompatible with Windows 8.

I can find no statement from Paragon on the subject other than Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 12 Suite 'requirements' showing Windows 8 not being a supported operating system.

I'm looking to install Windows 8 on my laptop which is currently running Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ 12 Suite on a 64 bit Windows 7 system.

I would have expected Paragon to already be supporting Windows 8 or to be doing so in the very near future. Perhaps they are.

Can any-one point me to a definitive statement from Paragon on WIndows 8 compatibility?

Thanks

Geoff

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

The software is not currently compatible with Windows 8, development is currently working on this, and there should be an update released soon.

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello, A feedback from a frustrated customer. :)

It is somehow very disappointing that Paragon was not able to have there Backup and Recovery software ready and functional to the release of Windows 8. Everyone who is taking security seriously know that you have to have a backup policy ready. It is the first and most important layer of your chosen security strategy, regardless of if you are a home user or a big corporation. I have been a Paragon user for a long time, and it will hopefully stay that way. (But for now I still have a tiny portion of patience left to wait for Paragon before I will seriously look for other providers.)

Regards, Janus

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You could use the Windows 8 built-in backup program for the time being.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I used the W7 backup program to restore once and it failed to complete, errored on something about the registry.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have used the WinPE CD of B&R to backup and restore a Win 8 disk.

See:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335102

No issues that I can see but like it says in the linked posts, it isn't supported by Paragon. IIRC, I think their free offering now claims Win 8 support.

That said, I agree that they seem to be way too slow in getting a Win 8 compatible version out and I'm wondering if this is more of a marketing issue than a development issue.

I did use the W7 Windows backup once to try it out. It worked but it was very lacking in features which is often the case with MS offerings released with the OS - probably to keep the 3rd party vendors happy and to avoid anti-trust lawsuits etc.

7. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello

Thanks for the link, will give it a try on friday, unfortunately I don't have time before. (assignments that must be delivered before Christmas :doubt: ). The idea that it is more of a marketing issue than a development issue, has also struck me. Thanks for your time seekforever :)

Regards, Janus

8. Paragon_Matt

Just as a point development has been working on this for some time, the major difference is that with the Windows 8 developers preview the software worked without a problem, however from the release candidate that Microsoft released there was significant differences, which caused major bugs with the software and they wanted to get it right, now release un-usable software. I do apologize for the inconvenience however and once it is released it the service pack will be posted to your account.

9. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Thanks Matt for the explanation of the situation. I have used Paragon software for so long time, and used a strong backup policy to take care of, and counter for every possible situation that I can think of. And I do feel uncomfortable not having Paragon to take care of that part. Why I don't shift Paragon right away, is just that I have used so many hours on Paragon, and know by now almost every corner of it, and I don't feel comfortable, to throw that knowhow out of the window right away. So my simpel conclusion is, that I will wait of course, but not for long. In the meantime I will try out other alternatives.
    Thank you for your time Matt....:)

Regards, Janus..

10. Portugal

Portugal Registered Member

Hello.

I bought Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 12 on November 5th, and so far it seems it's working ok on Windows 8 (even though I'm only backing up drives and files to both network drives and FTP, not recovering anything yet), but only today on reading this thread I realized Hard Disk Manager Suite is not compatible with Windows 8.

Now my question is, will I experience some issues with the backups because of Windows 8, for instance, if I try to recover some files, is there any change it will not be possible due to any reason?

I need an answer ASAP, as I've backed up terabytes of some very important files.

Regards.

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There was an updated version the other day.

I think you have the new version if it installed ok.

10.1.19.16240_000

12. Paragon_Matt

Windows 8 is supported within HDM 12 Suite and Pro, the update was released a day or two ago, the others products are soon to follow.

13. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Thank you, thank you! They realy work! I just now tried migrate w8 to VM. On vPC2007 boot fail (old vm, hard to ajust), on virtualbox - success. Typing this from virtual w8, who running in virualbox, running in w7 :)
    ----------
    MS Hyper-V also normally boot from hdm-created image.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. wptski

wptski Registered Member

A bit Off Topic but can you go into details about running W8 in a virtual box from W7? Maybe is a new thread? Or point me to the details somewhere? I'd like to "try" W8 but not lose W7's use.

Thanks for the PM!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  15. FocusLW

FocusLW Registered Member

I have just paid for, downloaded and installed HDM 12 Suite on my Windows 8 PC and windows 8 tells me there are compatibility issues with the launcher, and it won't allow the program to open.

I've uninstalled it, downloaded the installation file again, reinstalled it; but still get the same problem.

What is the solution please, or how do I get my money back?

Thanks.

16. FocusLW

FocusLW Registered Member

I should add that I am running Windows 8 64 bit, and it's completely up-to-date.

17. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

From your Paragon account, you can open a technical support ticket. Meanwhile, you should be able to work from the WinPE boot medium.

18. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would suggest opening a support ticket. The updated for W8 has been out for 4 months now and I don't recall seeing a flood of problems for it. Sometimes it is just some little thing.

I was wondering if you had an pre-W8-updated copy but since you just downloaded it that shouldn't be the case unless there was a screw-up in the download files on the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.