Windows 8 certification (interesting read for developers and especially gamers)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firecat, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I found this very interesting post by a developer at Croteam, who made the very successful Serious Sam series of games. While the concerns of this developer are related to games, it could very well be a legitimate concern for developers of any software.

You may read the entirety of the post here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33268524&postcount=16

In light of what seems to be a shenanigan by MS, I seem to feel less compelled to upgrade to Windows 8 now, though I guess one day I will have to upgrade to another version....

EDIT: It also says the Windows 8 app store doesn't allow applications with profanity or mature language either. In the event of a lockdown, this means a lot of entertainment goes out the window. What happens to music/movie downloads?

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

What's the matter? Are you afraid of change? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :))

That is really bizarre, considering how Mature-rated games like Halo and Call of Duty are their bread and butter for their Xbox 360 console. They allow R-rated movie downloads on that system as well.

This is precisely the kind of thing that concerns me about Windows 8 and the direction they are going. It's not that Win 8 itself is so bad, it's rather how the "app store" model of a locked-down system is getting started and could intrude more and more in future versions.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Pretty sure they made a U turn on the mature rated games thing and decided to allow it, was dumb.

But yeah, I don't see it killing Steam that's for sure. Valve is making the right move with bringing Steam to Linux just in case Microsoft does go all "Apple" with Windows. Better safe than sorry.

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Thanks for sharing that link. It was/is nice to see a thoughtful developer commenting on such issues. I don't know long so inclined Windows users will be able to hold out against the Windows Store/MicrosoftID model, but one key to doing so will be developer support.

I wonder how many people are buying full versions of Windows 7 this holiday season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.