Windows 8 & Admin Rights

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Noob, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I usually use my computer with full Admin rights and UAC turned on. Recently i started having some issues with the OS that it wont let me modify protected system files, even if i open or allow the action in the UAC prompt. The only way to be able to modify/move/delete these files is to "Take Ownership" of the folder and all of its sub folders/files.
    Now the problem is that even with "Take Ownership" i still cant access some folders.
    I think the problem started when i was having some issues with my GPU driver and i downloaded 2 driver cleaners, they probably screwed up something, that would be my best guess.

Anyone knows how i can fix this WITHOUT formatting the PC?

2. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Which folders?

3. guest

guest Guest

You were messing around with OA's file/folder protection feature in the past, weren't you? Could it be because of that?

BTW, a good reason to start using a system imaging program don't you think? ;)

4. Jryder54

After taking ownership did you give yourself (your user account) permissions. Owner doesn't always have full access rights. Maybe a obvious answer but I had to ask.

5. guest

guest Guest

That's actually a valid suggestion. Both the Administrators and Users should have read-access permissions.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, i did screw up the OS once with OA but that was a long time ago and i ended up formatting the PC (It was due anyways).

The reason why i dont want to format the PC is because im waiting to finish this semester in college before i do anything. (Which will happen in December)

The folder and files that i cant modify are Windows files, User files, Program files and some others.
    I dont really care about those anyways. My problem is that i plugged in an HDD from a broken laptop to recover some files from it but since i'm having this problem Windows wont even let me open folders in the HDD, let alone copy files.
    When i try to open folder like User, Program Files, it shows an UAC prompt and i click allow but nothing happens.

Oh . . . if anyone follows my threads, i created another thread in the hardware forum regarding Safe Mode, i wanted to boot into Safe Mode to do this but my motherboard wont detect my USB keyboard.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Finally fixed it!
    Big thanks goes to Stapp. *Internet High Fivez* :D

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

What was wrong then?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not sure what was wrong, Stapp sent me a PM recommending me a tool that fixes some common issues with Windows and it worked perfectly. :D

10. Jryder54

Care to share? May come in handy one day

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. Jryder54

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah great tool, i will keep it in my "Fix-O-Matic Flash Drive". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.