Windows 8 & Admin Rights

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Noob, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I usually use my computer with full Admin rights and UAC turned on. Recently i started having some issues with the OS that it wont let me modify protected system files, even if i open or allow the action in the UAC prompt. The only way to be able to modify/move/delete these files is to "Take Ownership" of the folder and all of its sub folders/files.
    Now the problem is that even with "Take Ownership" i still cant access some folders.
    I think the problem started when i was having some issues with my GPU driver and i downloaded 2 driver cleaners, they probably screwed up something, that would be my best guess.

Anyone knows how i can fix this WITHOUT formatting the PC?

2. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Which folders?

3. guest

guest Guest

You were messing around with OA's file/folder protection feature in the past, weren't you? Could it be because of that?

BTW, a good reason to start using a system imaging program don't you think? ;)

4. Jryder54

After taking ownership did you give yourself (your user account) permissions. Owner doesn't always have full access rights. Maybe a obvious answer but I had to ask.

5. guest

guest Guest

That's actually a valid suggestion. Both the Administrators and Users should have read-access permissions.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, i did screw up the OS once with OA but that was a long time ago and i ended up formatting the PC (It was due anyways).

The reason why i dont want to format the PC is because im waiting to finish this semester in college before i do anything. (Which will happen in December)

The folder and files that i cant modify are Windows files, User files, Program files and some others.
    I dont really care about those anyways. My problem is that i plugged in an HDD from a broken laptop to recover some files from it but since i'm having this problem Windows wont even let me open folders in the HDD, let alone copy files.
    When i try to open folder like User, Program Files, it shows an UAC prompt and i click allow but nothing happens.

Oh . . . if anyone follows my threads, i created another thread in the hardware forum regarding Safe Mode, i wanted to boot into Safe Mode to do this but my motherboard wont detect my USB keyboard.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Finally fixed it!
    Big thanks goes to Stapp. *Internet High Fivez* :D

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

What was wrong then?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not sure what was wrong, Stapp sent me a PM recommending me a tool that fixes some common issues with Windows and it worked perfectly. :D

10. Jryder54

Care to share? May come in handy one day

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. Jryder54

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah great tool, i will keep it in my "Fix-O-Matic Flash Drive". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.