Windows 8 activation & BIOS explained

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Misinformation, go away. So here's an article explaining the new OEM Activation mechanism for Windows 8 where encrypted product keys are stored in BIOS/UEFI instead of a sticker, how this impacts users, focusing on many subjects like pre-installed Windows vs. generic vanilla builds, installation & reinstall needs, refresh/reset, hidden partition images, System Builder edition and Personal Use License (PUL), DVD media, how to retrieve product keys with Nirsoft ProduKey and Belarc Advisor, past experience, general recommendations, references, and more. I've done this especially for you, because I hate Windows 8, see how much I am sacrificing for you, oh noble and benevolent me. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-activation.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Thanks for that.... it's a very interesting article.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

@Mrkvonic
    Thanks for the informative article.

So, how someone should proceed in case of a broken hard drive in a OEM machine?

If it there´s no sticker with the serial key, and assuming that there´s no way to get the serial key that is kept in an encrypted form in the BIOS or UEFI... seems that the user will have to spend more money buying a installation media with a new licence :/

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes. Or even with the same license. Some OEMs (like Dell, according the some posts I´ve read in the Dell forum) sell the installation medium, which I suppose uses the same license that is in the BIOS/UEFI.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And you can take the key BEFORE the box crashes :)
    Mrk

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That´s definitely the wise thing to do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.