Windows 8.1 Update – important refinements to the Windows experience

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...nt-refinements-to-the-windows-experience.aspx

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

So as usual Microsoft released the new OS and advertised how great it is as it is with all the old features missing, then with each update it keeps adding the simple old things back advertising, how great the update is, because it contains, what all previous Windows already had, like Start button, Shutdown/Restart button and so on. Funny and sad.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx ronjor!

looking forward to it. :thumb:

5. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

It's very interesting how every "major" update since they released Windows 8 they mention "for free". I wonder what did they had in mind. Did they really expected people paying for these "major" updates?

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nope it's the 4'th :D But that article was published on the 2'th. ;)

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

11. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I wonder how long it will be before they make Windows a subscription service. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay a yearly fee for OS updates.

12. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

A great part of their market share comes from the pirates, so I doubt they want to lose markets like Russia or China.

13. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I'm hoping that start menu is a joke or they will allow the removal of the live tiles from it, MS just don't seem to get the fact that metro is not well liked by most.

It almost like they are going out of their way to wind users up, here is the start button back but just to mess with you it will open the start screen you hate, here is the start menu you wanted back but just to mess with you up we are adding live tiles to it :rolleyes:

14. safeguy

I doubt so. It's more likely that they would make Windows a free platform and make money from apps and cloud services like OneDrive, Online Office, etc. If they were to charge yearly subscription for OS, they risk backlash and users moving away to alternative computing platforms. Google and Apple would be more than happy.

In any case, this is not something to be concerned over
    at least not for the near future. Microsoft is tied to their support lifecycle. Windows 8 is up till 2023. Windows 9 would extend that day further.

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

during install i checked the option to let Microsoft know how i use my PC.

i want to make sure they know i am not using any metro apps or the Metro Start itself. ;)

16. safeguy

@moontan

LOL. They won't kill Metro. They have invested too much into it. Metro is their way to compete against Google's ChromeOS and Android. They would rather tone down Metro to suit desktop users than to outright kill it

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

But they know I am using them. You can't stop it. Bwahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, some of the apps aren't bad. I prefer the weather app to any of the weather websites.

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

They will just "evolve" it into something else entirely.
    That's what big companies do. Mistakes do not exist.
    Mrk

19. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

We still can't make our tiles on the Start Screen the color we want without a 3rd Party App. Really thinking of the user, aren't they? Same for the Start Button Menu, I guess - still have to use a 3rd Party App. As far as Metro Apps in my taskbar, no thanks - I don't use the Metro apps that much anyway and I like to keep my Desktop and taskbar relatively clean. This is more of a nuisance to me than something helpful.

But,thanks, Microsoft for so many useful changes which the users wanted and requested - NOT.

20. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Back in 2013 when I bought a new laptop with Windows 8, I used it for about 3 months. The biggest problem back then and now is the dichetomy of their UI. Their Metro Apps theme just doesn't go with Windows desktop theme. The new start menu is welcomed but it doesn't solve the poor theme design and weird menus.
    It seems like they tried to convert a car into a boat and removed the steering wheel. Now they put it back on but it still doesnt make it a good car or a good boat.
    Anyways I really think that Windows 9 might be a lot like 7 but it won't change the fact that Windows is part of U.S. government sponsored botnet. Ever since Snowden I just went open source.
    I only use a Windows netbook as a back up and to play movies. I will probably replace it with Windows 9 netbook and see how much progress microsoft made.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

From the blog.

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I had to ask ... ;)

24. henryg

henryg Registered Member

They spent years and millions trying to convince users that Vista was a great product.... :D

25. safeguy

In terms of OS architecture, it was a step up from XP. People hated it for its performance (higher hardware requirements and SuperFetch wasn't optimized in its early days) and the unfamiliar thing called UAC that annoyed users used to being admin. It took all the bad credits and paved the way for Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.