Windows 8.1 gets stuck searching for updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, May 5, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is an important, detailed tutorial explaining how to work around the problem of Windows 8.1 getting stuck while searching for Windows Updates, including both unsuccessful attempts with official utilities like Troubleshooter, WU diagnostics tools, standalone patches, PowerShell, and DISM, and successful resolution using the unofficial offline update tool Autopatcher, other tips and tricks, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-1-stuck-updates.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows 8? Crickey!

I'm running the super stable version of Windows 10.

Only morons need constant updates and pointless new features that usually break things.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks for the article. I've run through most of those options on our test VMs and had the same experience. None of the official stuff worked.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's why I run Windows 8.1 with personal controls. Been this way since Windows 98 and security is always been quite tight.

Of course it helps with tools you can use to drill down into this mess call Windows ;)

Go with this platform long enough and you learn to be quite the Mechanic.

5. Mrkvonic

Norman, the idea of the article is to help people with their stuck updates ... their intelligence notwithstanding :)
    Mrk

6. NormanF

You do realize your tutorial isn't applicable to modern Intel and AMD chip families were Microsoft had shut off updates for, in order to compel users to upgrade to Windows 10. Support through 2020? That isn't even guaranteed.

7. Mrkvonic

What are you talking about?
    Mrk

8. NormanF

Computers with AMD'S Ryzen and intel's Kaby Lake chips. If you have Windows 7/8 installed, Microsoft has blocked Windows Update so users need to go to Windows 10 if they want to receive updates.

Doesn't apply to computers with previous generation chipsets.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's strange that Windows 8.1 still has update problems, I thought Microsoft would have fixed it like they have done in Windows 7. As far as I can tell, the long time it takes to search for update in Windows 7 has been completely resolved.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Can you gents say how important is it to keep windows updated? I have a machine I use only for secondary purposes and it hasn't updated in a couple years and it does just fine for what I need it to. It does have a firewall and a couple privacy/security browser extensions but no realtime av nor hips

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For me, the thing that fixed the Win 7 long update checking was the July 2016 Update Rollup. After applying that, which included the fix, everything has been perfect in 7. I did however recently clean install 8.1 and it does seem to have the long update checking problem just like 7 did, and I have not been able to find a fix for 8.1 yet.

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just edited my post. What I meant to say is that the update issue appears to be completely resolved. In the last few weeks, I ran Windows Update on Windows 7 computer that had not been updated for at least 18 months, and it took probably around 20 minutes to do a check for updates, and I had no issues with installing any updates. Also, I did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 a week or so again, and also it took around 20 to 25 minutes to complete the initial check for updates and there were no problems installing updates. In both cases, I did not need to manually install any updates. Windows Update just worked as it should.

However, I'm still setting issues with Windows Update in Vista, even afer manually installing recommended updates.

13. Mrkvonic

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Few people will have these processors and/or choose to install older OS on them manually.
    Blocked updates means = functionality works; this tutorial talks about the process getting STUCK (not giving any results).
    After the problem is resolved = WU works normally as expected, hence this is not related to Windows 10 or Ryzen or Kaby Lake in any way.

Mrk

14. Mrkvonic

@chrome_sturmen, secucity is overrated anyway, so even if you miss an update or ten for a few months, no biggie.
    @Kerodo, try autopatcher with the method I described, see if that fixes the corruption.

Mrk

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok thanks, will do......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.